Activate Windows 8.1 using BIOS mods?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Dovahkiin, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    Hi!
    A few time ago I asked to modify my BIOS to include SLIC2.1, so I could activate Windows 7 with it. I was wondering if something similar could be done to activate Windows 8.1 Pro with it. My computer came with Windows 8 Core Single Language and I want to replace that serial with one compatible with Windows 8.1 Pro. Is that possible?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    I also wondered if its possible to embed your "own" (unique) Win 8 key into your BIOS (non UEFI).

As I re-install Win 8 a lot on my test laptop this might safe some seconds ;)

I ask because the link to Yens post mentions the injection of the MSDM table into firmware, NVRAM, romhole of the BIOS /UEFI.

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  5. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Even if you mod it with your own key I don't see point as you can't activate it. Even if you use an OEM-DM key the hardware hash won't match that saved on the MS Servers so it won't activate.

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Technically it is possible. One just would need to replace the serial in the BIOS'es MSDM table and to correct the table sum. But it only would work with an un-activated serial. Once activated it is tied to the machine. (I had tried that with w8. A friend grabbed the DM serial from his notebook, he never booted up w8, he straightly installed w7).
    Not sure if it still works...but I guess yes.