Activate windows 8 OEM?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xVermicide, Oct 28, 2012.

1. xVermicide

xVermicide MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    ok, so i don't know much about the new OA3.0 or OEM activation in general.
    but here's my situation:

i received a windows 8 gateway pc yesterday in the mail.
    later last night, i tried to partition the hard drive using easeus partition magic, and but while the laptop was performing the partition, the computer restarted itself out of nowhere and windows said 'your system needs to be recovered.'
    it said to insert my recovery media (which i didn't have) or my windows 8 disc (which i didn't have) or to contact support.
    since i didn't have the recovery media, i downloaded a win8 iso and set up my usb drive to install it.
    my hard drive needed to be formatted because the partition went wrong, and so i installed a clean windows 8 (not pro, my pc came with core windows 8) onto my laptop. now i have no idea how to get it activated again.

please help me

2. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    You just need to install your OEM Key and activate online.

Please see if it have the COA Stick with your Product Key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. xVermicide

xVermicide MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    sorry COA stick? what exactly is that?

the problem is, i don't have any OEM key. i looked all through the documentation the box and there is no OEM windows key. it would look like XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX or something, right?

4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    It would be on a sticker on your computer. If you own a laptop it may be under the battery compartment.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. xVermicide

xVermicide MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    let me restart my computer and check under the battery

6. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
  7. xVermicide

xVermicide MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    there is no COA sticker on my laptop at all, there is a windows 8 sticker on the bottom next to a sticker with the model/serial number. but there is no COA sticker on my laptop and there is no OEM key in the box

8. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
  9. oscill8r

oscill8r MDL Junior Member

Sep 4, 2008
    "each new PC will come with a "Genuine Microsoft" sticker affixed, rather than the earlier Windows Certificate of Authenticity."

I think OEM kit with Windows 8 no longer has COA anymore.

10. Toink

Toink MDL Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Try checking in the battery compartment - (remove your battery, of course). Otherwise, you may need to call Gateway/Acer support...

11. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    Have you tried pressing any of the f buttons on reboot? to enter factory recovery? there could be a hidden recovery partition, i think on most pc's it's the f11 button.

12. xVermicide

xVermicide MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    i've checked all over the laptop, there is no sticker. not even under the battery.
    there is no recovery partition, i deleted all partitions and started fresh

13. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    Just out of curiosity do you know the model your laptop? so i can google and have a look? there must be coa sticker on there somewhere...

14. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    $14.99, cheapest and easiest way to fix this.

15. oscill8r

oscill8r MDL Junior Member

Sep 4, 2008
    You could install Windows 8 Pro ... KMS activate ... apply for WMC key ... wait for key (18hrs for mines to show up today) ... done! :D

16. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    And the first time you crash you won't be able to reinstall. Upgrade license is forever or until Windows 9 hits the street.

17. zbteck

zbteck MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    best fix -> Pro KMS + WMC Key = $0.00

18. 5856898

5856898 MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Per OA3.0, Your DPK(Digital Product Key) already injected into your computer's firmware, simply reinstall your new OS and activate...