Activate Windows offline without booting into it?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by arnyc23, Feb 8, 2012.

1. arnyc23

arnyc23 MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    #1 arnyc23, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
    Is it possible to activate Windows offline - meaning without booting into it? Lets say, I boot into Win7 on a physical disk, applied Win7 onto an attached VHD disk with Imagex, and want to activate it offline (not by phone, but possibly using DISM or similar tools to work with offline OS). For example, its possible to edit its Registry by loading its heaves into Regedit. Its also possible to add apps and drivers offline with DISM. So is it possible to activate it?

Does any activation tool allow to select a particular drive with Windows install for activation?

2. arnyc23

arnyc23 MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    Thanks. The thread you linked to has 3000 posts by now. Would you narrow the path a bit? :biggrin:

Another issue I'm facing: Win7SP1 (current release) was originally installed on a HD, OEM activated and later restored to a VHD disk. Now when I boot the VHD, after login it goes to empty screen with "Windows not Genuine" in the corner. From Task Manager I can Run Console and even Win Explorer, but it doesn't allow to run any program (including Slmgr), open any file, or switch to Admin. How to restore Windows to original state, so that I can reactivate it? Possible offline without booting to it?

3. arnyc23

arnyc23 MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    Empty fixed VHD was created in Win7 64-bit Diskpart, then I restored Win7SP1 64-bit backup to it with Acronis. It worked normally from HD. I also tried applying its WIM to the VHD instead of restoring Acronis archive. It doesn't make any difference. I can't run the MBR GUI tool in Safe mode, or any 3rd party app, because it only allows me to start a few Windows apps (not slmgr) via RUN box in Safe Mode as Admin, and even less in normal mode. The screen in Save mode is black empty, no buttons or anything. I can start Win Explorer from Run, but it says - restricted mode, no browsing files or opening Explorer window.