activate windows x86 license on windows x64 on the same computer

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by basham59, Sep 5, 2013.

1. basham59

basham59 MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2010
    I ve 2 doubts:
    1--->i know how people use to take backup of their activated license of windows by copy-paste(ing) the windows/system32/spp folder in a separate hard drive or pen drive and reactivate again after a fresh format on the same pc with the SAME VERSION of windows by deleting the fresh preinstalled key and then restoring the folder in safe mode after using net stop sppsvc command.

I am curious to know if I ve activated a license on x86 windows(say win 8 pro), then can I use its license files(spp folder) to activate the same version of windows(win 8 pro), but of x64 architecture.

as far the use of advanced tokens manager is concerned, it was possible to do so, but the software has not been updated for the use with windows "8.1" version, so I am unable to take its backup.

2--->I would also like to know, if I create a system image of my activated windows using "RECIMG" software, and then if I use its backup to restore in a freshly installed DE-activated windows(obviously in the same version of windows where the backup was taken), then will my OS be activated or do I ve to activate it again????

Please help.

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I think technically it might work because Windows Activation allows for some slop with the ID stuff if a majority of it is the same. I haven't actually tried it. There's tons of information here on the forum about why it could possibly NOT work, but a lot of people haven't actually tried things to see if they WILL work.

Anyhow, you don't need to back up the entire spp folder. Just backup the %windir%\system32\spp\store\2.0\data.dat and tokens.dat files. Take caution as data.dat is hidden by default.

If you copied the whole folder you could inadvertently ruin your metro apps or something strange.

You could actually test this using Windows 8.0 and a saved KMS activation if you are really curious.
    Fire up a vm, install 8.0. activate with toolkit. save the data.dat and tokens.dat
    Fire up vm again and install x64 variant. copy the two files over and restart.

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    May I ask you why don't you simply activate the x64 installation by phone using the same serial?

IMHO you'll encounter issues...sooner or later.

According to kelorgo's findings windows creates a different installation ID which returns a different confirmation ID (32 bit compared to 64 bit OS).
    This means activation becomes void when transferred, at least when validated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    In my "win8.1WMC" X64 and X86 ISO, both used the same token/data.dat files. :D

5. basham59

basham59 MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2010
    thank you very much :rolleyes:
    any idea about my 2nd query, if I restore a backup of an image created by RECIMG software, (the backup is created under the name CustomRefresh.wim by default), then do I ve to reactivate again??
    or do I need to reactivate again if I restore from a system image(custom) of the activated version of windows??

6. basham59

basham59 MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2010
    the reason of my enquiry is, I ve brought an image of windows 8.1 from a friend and accidentally it was x86 bit. My mistake that I didn't check the size of the image(usually x64 bits are more than 3 GB), and after the install I was just busy trying to activate it, when after activation I realized that it was 32 bit.
    Now my problem to try a fresh install of x64 bit system with a new key is, that new retails keys are getting blacklisted too soon, and I am short of valid keys(to the latest) :(

7. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    For once I agree with Yen's reasoning :D

I feel that you are in somewhat of a mess having used a Windows 8 retail key to activate the copy.

I would double up and backup the current activation that you did then try to do the 64 bit activation. That way you have a backup in case you can't get the 64 bit copy activated and licensed :p

8. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    The thing about swapping the files is that even if it works, you won't have much room to swap things around.
    Yen was onto something with the installation id stuff. Think of it in terms of Variance percentage.
    A freshly activated key starts out at 100% and each thing you change lowers it 10%
    If you get below 50% you are not activated.

So, say you swap the keys and it is activated at first.
    Then later on, you swap out a network card or a graphics card or whatever.
    I don't exactly know all the stuff it catalogs for the comparison, but lets say that before you even swap that stuff you're at 60% from using an x86 key on x64 system.
    The point Yen is making is that even if it works, it won't be valid and won't have the same leniency that a freshly activated key has.
    Of course, the same is true of every single time you re-activate by restoring the data.dat and tokens.dat from a backup folder.

You lose either way. I'd say give it a try. Why not?...

9. basham59

basham59 MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2010
    Thank you Sir,
    I was actually just doing the same thing ASAP, downloaded just 40% of x64 win 8.1 as of now.

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

Just phone activate your 64 bit installation. If it should not work.... well buy it legally or wait for KMS. :rolleyes:

To learn late is better than to learn never. Congrats for your progress. :D ;):)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. basham59

basham59 MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2010
    #11 basham59, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    (OP)
    Thank You everyone for helping me. I immediately downloaded the x64 win8.1 pro and activated it permanently successfully with the same key used for x86 OS.
    I tried what I was trying to do as mentioned in my above comments(i.e transferring X86 license onto x64), but after that I got so stucked that I was not even able to delete the license, nor being able to put any new licensed key, ultimately had to reformat again and activate it with the same key.

Just ONE MORE QUERRY------>do we need to reactivate again, if I try to install a backup of my system using RECIMG software(backup is created under the name CustomRestore.wim by default)??? I am asking this because I ve never used the feature-->system restore from system image while booting from a DVD or whatsoever????

But anyhow transferring of licenses from x86 to x64 or vice versa was always possible by using Advanced Token's Manager(ATM), as I ve tried this with all previous versions of windows including windows 8(even the software readme file mentions that such transfers are possible but only limited to that particular system, of course). still waiting for ATM to be updated to be compatible with windows 8.1 OS(in case of any mistake). now on I will always check the architecture of windows and activate.

Thank You Everyone :rolleyes:

12. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    All of the product key and activation information is located in the data.dat and tokens.dat
    As long as those two files are restored when you restore your system, it should be fine.
    I'd hold off on upgrading hardware till they get past the kms v6 stuff though...