Activate with TrueCrypt?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dlj, Aug 26, 2009.

1. dlj

dlj MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    If I can not do a bios mod, how can I activate a W7 laptop that uses TrueCrypt whole disk encryption?

I have read it interferes with every loader out there. Is there a way to use both a loader and Truecrypt? (32 and 64 bit)

2. Para

Para MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Loaders are simply started during the OS startup, which at that specific time, the disk should be decrypted by TrueCrypt.
    Technically, it should be possible to use loaders with a TrueCrypt encrypted disk. But honestly I'm not sure if it's been done before. I have not read anything about this issue.

3. m4rkiz

m4rkiz MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    #3 m4rkiz, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
    yes, you can use loaders with tc, i have encrypted system partition with vista (and other with w7), i am using VistaLoader4.2 by orbit30, working without any problems
    for windows 7 i used Windows 7 Toolkit 1.8 by orbit, and tried Hazar's 7 activator it is working without any problems

as always i strongly reccomend to have backup of current headers done before you start

4. polford

polford MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Sounds good to me, since I also wanna use Truecrypt with Win7.
    I guess you did encrypt your sys partition first, and then activated win7 with a loader afterwards, right? Or do you think it should work the other way around, as well? I guess Truecrypt sys encryption rewrites, or at least modifies the bootsector, so I am not sure, if the mods done by the loader will be gone, if you use TC disk encryption after installing the loader?
    Can anyone bring some light to this matter?

polford

5. polford

polford MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Alright, just tested it myself. I had Ultimate x86 running, activated using Hazards loader, some older version, not sure which, 1.4 something maybe.
    Encrypted Sys Drive using TC 6.2a and everything is still fine. TC works perfectly, and Win7 tells me it's still activated and genuine + Windows Update works.

polford

6. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    If you used a old activator it might change your RTM version into a Frankenstein build. This means your used a RC activator on a RTM version and your 7 will close in 2010 :(

7. polford

polford MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    I wasn't talking "that old" ;-) It was a version that did the SLIC emulation already with the leaked lenovo key ... no RC "activation" crap.

Edit: that's why this thread exists after all ... that RC file exchange thingy wouldn't alter the MBR in any way and thus wouldn't effect TC in any way ;-)

polford

8. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I'm under the impression that TrueCrypt FDE will only work if your system and boot partition are the same (i.e. no separate 200MB boot partition). Can anyone confirm this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. polford

polford MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    What exactly are you talking about? The "system" 100mb partition that Win7 creates by default? Or a self made, visible boot partition?
    My system has the 100mb invisible system partition, but my Win7 installation is on the first visible partition C:

polford