Activated, but sometimes shows not?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RASelkirk, Dec 6, 2011.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi All,

I occasionally get this message in the lower RH corner of my desktop, even though my copy is legit and has been registered through MS. When I right-click on "My Computer" and select "properties", it goes away and Windows shows to be registered correctly. WTF is causing this? Malwarebytes hasn't found anything and I continuously check taskmanager and Sysinternals process explorer for rogue programs...

TIA!

Russ

Attached Files:

2. half Man Half Biscuit

half Man Half Biscuit MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2011
    Just wanted to say acrsn is always the first MDL friendly neighbour to help wit issues :hug2:

BTW i know i wrote neighour wrong :eek: (even here :eek:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    #3 RASelkirk, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
    (OP)
    Thanks, sometimes I tend to forget about the obvious. :biggrin: Although neither showed any errors, I'll wait and see if this helped any...

Russ

EDIT: Still popping up randomly, still goes away when clicking "properties" under "my computer"...

4. stream

stream MDL Member

Nov 5, 2010
    #4 stream, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
    This is a known issue which occurs when the startup type of Software Protection Service is changed from its default setting of Automatic (Delayed Start) to Manual.

Restore it & restart & your problem will go away. :)

PS Actually Software Protection Service is a very misleading term.

m$ did not want to draw attention to this service by calling it Windows Activation Service, which is what it actually is! :mad:

win 7 will never be shown as activated if this service is stopped or disabled.

5. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Well, I had mine set to manual, imagine that! Trying to save a few CPU cycles by turning off junk I don't use... I switched it back, but what if I were to leave it set to "manual"? Does this do anything other than pop up that message?

Thanks!

Russ

6. stream

stream MDL Member

Nov 5, 2010
    None that has been documented so far.

But since win 7 is very complex (or should we say muddled-up?) & one stands to gain very little by way of performance, it is not recommended to change this particular setting.

7. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Got it, thanks! Will leave it on auto-delay start...

Russ