Activating a Toshiba Satellite L40-13G laptop. Complete Beginner, could you some help

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Katylar, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Katylar

Katylar MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2008
    #1 Katylar, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #2 urie, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017

Attached Files:

3. Katylar

Katylar MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2008
    Thanks for the Reply, but I'm a little confused.

What do I do with the SLP key? I've already installed vista Ultimate using a OEm DVD I got from a torrent.

my key is 55041-OEM-7332132-00812

That's the key my dvd automatically installed after I chose the Toshiba OEM option.

How to I activate my Vista with the certificate? Thanks. Also, based on my screenshot, do I have a valid SLIC?

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I don't know what type of recovery partition you have and what files are there the torrent dvd you downloaded probably had lots of different oem versions of ultimate i,e, dell hp asus but it have a feeling it may be using a loader we need more info all you really needed was to download windows vista sp1 MSDN version a real vista disk comes with all version not just ultimate and it is the key + certificate you enter that determins what version you install. below is how you can restore a dell machine from recovery partition your's will be different but it will give you an idea.

5. Katylar

Katylar MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2008
    Thank you sir for you informative response.

However, I've decided to stick with my current install of ultimate, since I've configured it to my liking. I've already written off any chance of recovering my original factory image, and I only wrote about saving the partition in my post because I thought that I had to extract my OEM certificate from the factory image.

Given that you've already given my the certificate, all I ask for now is some instruction on how to proceed.

Evidently, I have a TOSHIBA OEM Vista Installation that uses a Ultimate Key. My Computer is up and running, and I only wish to activate it. Mush I change my product key to the one you posted before? (to my understanding, keys simply tell the installer what version to install, and thus have no bearing on your activation).

If I really HAVE to change my key (maybe because each certificate corresponds to only one key), then how do I do it?

And finally, when I have the correct key in my System Properties (whether my current one or a new one if I really have to change it), how shall I use the OEM certificate to activate my Vista?

Thank you.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    you only need the one TOSHIBA certificate it is the key you have used must be wrong just try changing the product key on the system properties screen where it says change product key and use the one i posted above for TOSHIBA vista ultimate but you would be far better making your own OEM dvd for each version from the link i posted before on how to make your own vista oem dvd.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #7 Yen, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Katylar

Katylar MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2008
    Thank you all for your assistance. I shall do what you've suggested. My only worry is whether my files match...

Is there anyway to extract this TOKENS.DAT from my Factory ImagE? And then Extract from THAT?

Also, I've tried a few times to change my product key, but although windows says that the key has been changed successfully, whenever I check my licensing information in System Properties, it keeps listing my original OEM key (the one that I've already listed in a post prior to this, the one which has the word OEM)

Any suggestions?

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    There are different Toshiba certificates. You need the one that matches to TOSASU. Therefore I've got no certificate.

BtW: The key has changed (-00812 to -00031). You need to extract the TOKENS.DAT from your activated Vista Home Basic Toshiba OEM that came with your machine.

Have a look at your Factory Image. I call it your.wim now. Get imagex.(Have a look at your recovery DVD)
    You can mount the image and extract files from it if you want:
    Create a folder: e.g.

mkdir E:\mount

Now mount it:

imagex.exe /mount F:\RECOVERY_DVD\your.wim E:\mount
    F = DVD device

To unmount:

imagex.exe /unmount E:\mount

Also you can list details:

imagex.exe /info F:\RECOVERY_DVD\your.wim

Try to get the TOKENS.DAT.

If you don't find it I think you've to reinstall it at get it from there. To extract the right cert. should be no problem. Alternatively you can try other TOSHIBA certs as well....

11. Katylar

Katylar MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2008
    Hmm. Ok, I'll try it as soon as I've finished downloading some files. (I'm currently using Ubuntu, which is dual-booted with the unactivated Vista)

Although, upon exploration of the copied HDDRECOVERY Partition (not DVD), I haven't been able to find an imagex.exe... only a TOSIMAGEX.exe. Also, the *.wim I found is a boot.wim in the /sources/ directory.

Are these the correct files?

It would seem that this is becoming frustrating. Will it be easier to just flash my bios with a toshiba slic that has available certs?

You're RIGHT! the key has changed. What does this mean? thank you very much for your assistance.

PS given that I'm dualbooting with Linux, and use the GRUB bootloader for OS selection, will the softmod (bios emulation) be easier or will it be incompatible?

thanks.

12. Katylar

Katylar MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2008
    Sorry for double-posting, but...

I've tried to mount the TOSIMAGEx.EXE application- no luck. It seems that it's a different application. It only accepts /? /crc /apply not /mount.

Also, I've tried installing all Toshiba Certificates one by one found in the OEM Certificate Autoinstaller App found on this site. Also, not luck.

I've tried activating my windows by actually following the link. All it does is ask for a new key, since it says that my current key is invalid for activation (is this becuase it is an OEM key, and therefore technically doesn't need activation, simply a SLIC and Cert?)

I'm starting to think of just flashing or softmodding my BIOS.

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  14. Katylar

Katylar MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2008
    Hi. I'm sorry, i just got back from the hospital.

I've been able to use the mounter application as provided by urie, but I can't find the Tokens.dat file. Where is it supposed to be located? Also, given that I can most definitely still open the image, and it's intact, how can I go about reinstalling my original version of vista? (though i really don't want to, if possible-- I've gotten used to ultimate, and it would be a great effort to reinstall both OS's: Original Vista Home Basic and Ubuntu)

Thanks.

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #16 urie, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  16. logicmann

logicmann MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2009
    Hey Dudes,

i have the same problem but with a Toshiba L40-137.
    I installed Vista Ultimate und install all 4 Certs for the Toshiba.

No chance to activate.

So i have installed the Rescue DVD. I extract the Token.dat an then i build a

TOSHIBA.XRM-MS file with the right LicenseID"(29140d10-*******)

Is the License ID important for the Cert ?

All 4 Cert i installed yesterday have a n other License ID.

Ok when i have the notebook again, i will test with the ORIG Cert.

Can i install the Vista Ultimate with the SerialNumber 33g3w or shut i install the vista ultimate without a serialnumber ?

thanks in advance

Greetz
    logicmann