Activating HP ElitePad 900 Windows 8 Pro 32-bit OEM Without Recovery Disk

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Markanthon, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Markanthon

Markanthon MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2015
    #1 Markanthon, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    I got an HP ElitePad 900 that was new-ish (probably a display unit, since there was no R for Refurbished in the serial), which started giving partial activation errors from the outset. It said the Windows was activated in System, but personalization was locked, it asked to activate upon startup, etc. Eventually when I installed updates, it stopped saying it was activated in System as well and a Build 9200 watermark popped up on the desktop.

I tried to restore to factory state but the recovery partition was erased.

The charger for the tablet has a Windows 8 Pro sticker on it, but I
    looked at the System information and apparently the Windows installed is not Windows 8 Pro (says only Windows 8 in System).

I just downloaded some software to get my original key from BIOS but trying that key for upgrade to Windows 8 Pro version hasn't worked.

So right now, my assessment is that what I need to do is:

1. Find Windows 8 Pro 32-bit OEM version iso
    2. Create a bootable USB using this iso
    3. Reset and install using this USB

However, I'm still stuck at step 1. The only Windows 8 OEM I found was 64 bit, and that won't work with the Atom Elitepad 900.

It's proving almost impossible to find an OEM version Windows 8 Pro 32-bit.

Am I missing something here? The lack of OEM iso downloads suggests to me that there must be a workaround, since I couldn't be the only one facing this issue.

But I haven't been able to find another fix online.

Could someone guide me here? Is there some other way?

2. Pointy

Pointy MDL Junior Member

May 11, 2015
    #2 Pointy, Jun 26, 2015
    Use rw everything on the tablet. By installing some temporary windows 8. You can find d rw everything on google. Then open it go to acpi tab and then open msdn tab in there scroll down till you see a key. Copy that. Then search for pidgen. You can find it on this site open that program and input your key you got from rw everything the program will tell you all about your key and which version it's valid for.
    I recommend you download an iso from Murphy78. It will save you tons of time. Make sure you get the x86. And make sure you install the version that pidgen tells you your key is valid for. After the windows is installed you can input your key. And it will activate. Then download all the drivers from your manufacterer site. Use Rufus to make a Bootable USB flash drive using the iso. Use gpt for uefi systems also you don't have to worry about wetter iso is Oem or not.

Edit: there's also command prompt commands that can pull the info from windows install or a script that can show you the key in windows install. That will save you time not having to install windows again. You can run it in windows installation command prompt. But I don't know how to do that maybe somebody more knowledgeable can save you time. But if not follow the above method and you will be fine

3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #3 EFA11, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  4. Markanthon

Markanthon MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2015
    #4 Markanthon, Jun 26, 2015
    (OP)
    Thank you @Pointy and @EFA11 for your assistance.

To update:

- I used RWEverything to find out my Windows key.
    - I entered the key into Pidgen and got the following details relating to the nature of my key:
    Validity : Valid
    Edition Type : Professional
    Description : Win 8 RTM Professional OEM: DM
    Key Type : OEM: DM
    EULA : OEM

@EFA11, I will download the ISO you sent me (en_windows_8.1_with_update_x86_dvd_6051550.iso).

Before I proceed with the installation, I hope I can clarify a final few points:

1. My key is the HP OEM version for Windows 8 Pro 32-bit. Will this work on the ISO above? I ask because I tried entering the key for an installer I got off the Windows website and received the "This key does not work on retail versions of Windows" error.

2. I've read that Windows 8 keys do not work for Windows 8.1. Will this installation method overcome this issue?

3. The temporary key provided for use during installation is for Windows 8.1 Core and Home. Will it work towards installing the Pro version?

4. Finally, since I am using a separate key during installation that is not specifically tied to the Pro version, will the installation still be able to read the BIOS key and identify the Pro version as the correct one to install?

Thanks in advance for any further assistance. :)

5. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #1. ISO will work with your key. OEMs only tend to bundle Windows with their own crap you mostly never will need :D.

#2. Since Win 8.1 was a free Upgrade for Win 8 users, the Win 8 keys will work for Win 8.1. Only Windows Setup was picky with these and wanted the generic keys. Latest ISOs from MS MediaCreationTool accept Win 8 keys.

#3/4. Windows Setup should pick up the embedded key automatically and offer to install Win 8.1 aka Core.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Pointy

Pointy MDL Junior Member

May 11, 2015
    its going to be pro not core version as you can see from the pidgin output.