Activating Office 2010

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by RCOO, Jun 19, 2010.

1. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Hello guys,
    So, I have a question concerning the activation of Office 2010. I currently use the KMS Activator, but I've read that you just need to use one MAK-key (without needing the KMS activator) so sucessfully activate Office 2010 forever.

I thought you needed the KMS activator + 1 MAK key + reactivation every 180 days, am I correct, or is there a permanent way of activating Office 2010 without a KMS server?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. evildave

evildave MDL Junior Member

Feb 22, 2010
    You're mixing up the two VL activation types - MAK is an alternative to KMS and operates for the most part just like retail (using microsoft activation servers) except the keys are good for a variable number of activations (reinstalls use up this count even if on the same hardware unlike retail though)

3. mydigitallifeforum

mydigitallifeforum MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2010
    The sad part is that if your Office 2010 crashes, and you need to reinstall, the MAK key will not do it for you because the maximum number of activation is reached. In such case, you are screwed. Oh well, life isn't perfect. Just hope that someday someone will figure out a way to prevent this problem.

4. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #4 Smorgan, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
    Umm that isn't necessarily true theoretically don't trust me on it...
    If you completly backup the activation files located in their various places that won't be a problem...
    And no you would not be screwed...

The only problem is that every copy of office for each user whom has it installed has activation files which are spcific to his/her computer meaning you can't presently switch them from one computer to the next I think...

I have an idea of how to make it work but alas its only an idea...

5. mydigitallifeforum

mydigitallifeforum MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2010
    #5 mydigitallifeforum, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
    You've got PM

6. evildave

evildave MDL Junior Member

Feb 22, 2010
    If you use MAK proxy through VAMT 2.0 you can supposedly reuse activations on reinstalls onto the same hardware, however you need to be using AD since it requires domain group policies. Have not tried this though.

7. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    The method I have thou is very experimental don't even know if it works 100% of the time...
    However I'm pretty sure that if you save the registry values and tokens.dat and cache.dat stuff then it could backup the activation pretty effectively however if you change any of the hardware your toast....
    I was gonna test it with Vmware sometime thou...
    To see what would happen thou haha...