Activating/Passwording Administrator Account?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jrrkid9, Aug 19, 2009.

1. jrrkid9

jrrkid9 MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    Is it a good idea to activate the "super" administrator account, put a password on it and then disable it? Or is that unnesessary and I should just keep it disabled and not touch it. Can the "super" admin account be hijacked/taken control of/used to infect/etc if it is left disabled and without a password?

Thanks

2. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #2 Mr Jinje, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
    It's prolly safer with a password and disabled. Remember your main account is usually in the Administrators group too, so if you are really paranoid, maybe you need a third account, and don't give that account administrator access. That is the safest way to go. Quick snippet for the lazy

net user administrator /active:yes
    net user administrator /active:no

3. jrrkid9

jrrkid9 MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    ok so ive enabled it, passworded it, and disabled it. but now it has a folder for the account in the users folder even though it is disabled and it cannot be deleted. im sure theres probably some sort of registry entries created it for it as well. doesnt this kind of make it less safe now then to have not enabled it at all, since the account leaves these things behind even when disabled?

4. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #4 Mr Jinje, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  5. jrrkid9

jrrkid9 MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    ok well i have taken ownership of it but when trying to delete, it tells me that the files/folders are in use. anyway thats no big deal since i will be formatting this computer soon since i am building a new one and giving this to someone else. youve answered all my questions though so thanks a lot for the help.:) I cant believe i didnt think of just going to the user accounts in control panel to change the password instead of logging into the administrator account first. lol

6. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    No prob, I remember the days when I knew just enough to be dangerous. Making mistakes makes learning easy.

7. hdfreedom

hdfreedom MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2009