Activating win7 with a loader along with a legit copy of Vista & Grub bootloader

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Restek99, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Restek99

Restek99 MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2009
    I have machine on which I use the grub bootloader to load either linux, or my legit copy of vista ultimate. I've installed win7, and now want to activate it using the loader method.

My understanding is that this installs a new boot loader, plus some files into the 200mb win7 boot partition. Is the bootloader installed to the mbr or the 200mb partition? Obviously if it's the mbr then I can't keep my grub boot menu, whereas if it's just installed to the boot partition then am I right in thinking I can keep my existing grub menu?

Secondly, how will this effect my legit Vista? The bootloader instructions mention having to make some changes to vista after installing the loader in win7, but this seems to assume you are using a cracked copy of vista. What happens if my vista is legit?

Thanks!

2. dakota42784

dakota42784 MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    #2 dakota42784, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
    If you MUST use a loader.......Use Daz's Loader

If you MUST use a loader.......Use Daz's Loader.
    It will keep your Grub Intact & your Vista Activated. :):D
    Please follow Instructions carefully!!!!!!!!!

3. Restek99

Restek99 MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2009
    It's a laptop, so I don't fancy playing around with BIOS modding in case I brick the entire machine, leaving loaders the best option. I'll try Daz's then :)