Activating Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tskasa1, Oct 11, 2014.

1. tskasa1

tskasa1 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2014
    Hello all, I'm sorry if this seems a bit noobish of me, but I am in dire need of assistance. I'm trying to activate my Windows 7 U SP1 x64 using Daz' Windows Loader, but I cannot get it to work. Did some digging around, and found that Daz doesn't play well with GPT drives (which my drive is). Is there any way I can get it to work on my system as is?

Most suggestions I've seen suggest reformatting to MBR, but I cannot do that. My drive is a 4TB drive, and if I don't use GPT then I can't access the entire disk (which would defeat the entire purpose of having such a large disk). Thus that's a no go.

If it helps any, my mobo is an ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero.

2. MysTikAL3

MysTikAL3 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2013
    #2 MysTikAL3, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    Get a smaller HDD or SSD for your Windows 7 system and format it MBR.

IMHO your operating system should not be on any hard drive larger than 1TB for many reasons, too lengthy to go into them all...
    One being large disks should only be used for storage...
    :)

3. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  5. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. tskasa1

tskasa1 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2014
    Thank you for the suggestions, gentlemen. I tried the SLIC injector method. I followed the instructions on his page.

I downloaded installer EFI gui and key cert installer. I ran the EFI first (ASUS) and then the key cert installer (ASUS). Rebooted and checked My Computer, under properties, under Windows Activation. It still says: "2 days until automatic activation. Activate Windows Now."

Am I doing something wrong here?

7. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
  8. tskasa1

tskasa1 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2014
    Sorry, but I do not understand what you mean by diffuse links or delete them.

9. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    In that report are some links and you need to delete them, as the forums won't let you post them.

10. tskasa1

tskasa1 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2014
    Ahhh, okay. That explains why I couldn't post it. Here's the report:

11. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Report shows that no SLIC table is installed :g:. Unfortunatly this is picky on GPT ... other options still left.

12. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Ho-lee Smokes! A 4TB system drive? How much data do you plan to keep on it and where are you planning back up to? Hope that puppy doesn't fail all loaded down with your data.

I'm with MysTikAL3, get a smaller drive for your system drive and use this one for backup and data storage.

13. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Although i agree with this, OP still needs the system to run on GPT to use the big drive :g:.

14. tskasa1

tskasa1 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2014
    #14 tskasa1, Oct 11, 2014
    (OP)
    Its mainly that big for reasons of convenience at home. Mainly, convenience having to do with gaming. I have a rather slow internet connection, and have to share it with up to five people and my father is anal about having bandwith eaten up by Steam. So its far easier to keep as much installed on my drive as possible, than to have to swap stuff. It doesn't help that I am very much of a in-the-moment gamer and constantly have to switch around my installed library on smaller drives. Overkill? Most definitely.

Important things like school work are backed up on an external immediately and it's not data intensive to begin with, so my 2TB external and 60GB SSD secondary drive (which was originally supposed to be a caching drive, but my Windows installation refused to behave) are more than good enough. So in the case of lost data, what would be lost is relatively trivial.

Although all this trouble is making me regret that and consider getting a 2TB drive.

15. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    heck I'd use the 60GB ssd for windows system and let everything else go to the big drives for program installs. Gaming would be vastly "funner" with ssd lol

16. tskasa1

tskasa1 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2014
    #16 tskasa1, Oct 11, 2014
    (OP)
    Frankly, I find SSDs to be a nice commodity in terms of performance, but hardly enough of a difference to put up with the much smaller sizes. I'd rather save the cash and get a much bigger drive than get marginally improved load times at a significantly higher cost. I was considering not using one at all, until I heard of smart caching, so I got one to try to set it up but that failed. Windows refused to install with the RAID controller on without magically shrinking down my 4TB drive to 1.7TB. So I just gave up and went AHCI.

17. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    You know you can install just Windows on the SSD, and point all installation stuff to the 4TB storage drive. 60GB is more than enough for windows only, 4TB is enough for every game and program you might consider lol

18. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Then your only option left is to switch to Professional or Enterprise edition and KMS activate.

19. tskasa1

tskasa1 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2014
    I remember looking into something like that, but I read that Steam was a bitch about installation to non-system drives so I decided to avoid that.

And yeah, I'm loving the drive's cavernous capacity at the moment. It looks like it'll fit essentially my entire library with room to spare. Which is nice, granted how installation sizes have been ballooning like crazy recently.

20. tskasa1

tskasa1 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2014
    After spending a while key hunting, I finally found a key that worked and activated Windows. I'm just hoping no problems pop up later.

Thank you for all the suggestions, and I'm sorry for all the trouble.