Activating Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on GPT/UEFI

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by X Easa X, Jun 29, 2013.

1. X Easa X

X Easa X MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2013
    Hi, I started using Raid_0 between 3x 2TB hard drives for ~5.6TB total, and converted them to GPT to boot using them.
    I also updated my BIOS to UEFI thing, in order to install windows 7 ultimate on <2.2TB hard drive.
    The problem here is, after 2 days of installing my programs and tweaking and customizing my computer, Windows Loaders couldn't identify the partition table because it's GPT, and so, couldn't activate it.
    Many Frequently Asked Questions suggest changing from GPT to MBR but i can't do that as I wouldn't be able to boot from the Raid_0 I made, because of the limit on installing windows 7 on hard drives <2.2TB.
    I did a lot of googling and searching, but no activation method seemed to work.

27 Days to activate.
    What can i do about this situation? And are you planning on making a Windows Loader that works with GPT?
    I would be more than happy if i could even activate it manually to avoid losing my customizations, but i do not have any experience such as BIOSes .. Just a normal user..
    I am hoping your deep experiences in this field can help fix my problem.
    And accept my thanks.

2. X Easa X

X Easa X MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2013
    I also tried WindSLIC but it worked for a while, and after 1 restart windows return to being unactivated.

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    You could use:
    -BIOS mod
    -WindSLIC UEFI
    -Updown8 to convert to Enterprise (same features) and then use KMS activation
    -D420 (unlimited trial)

All these methods are discussed in MDL.

In case of WindSLIC, posting an MGADiag report would be best. But, if you want to follow that path post in the dedicated WindSLIC sticky topic.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    motherboard bios can be modded with slic 2.1 .. done

5. X Easa X

X Easa X MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2013
    Thank you very much for your quick, neat, and useful reply. I will try Updown8 to convert it to Enterprise and then use KMS activation.
    Thanks again :)

6. Galileo Figaro

Galileo Figaro MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2010
    But how did you figure out what MB it is?

7. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
  8. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    These methods still valid?

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    yes, still valid

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @crashnburn

You are an old member but your recent actions have surprised (& little bit annoyed) me! You have literally spammed the board by asking almost same questions without trying out the solutions yourself. Also you have created multiple threads for solving one problem.

What happened to you??

:joystick:

11. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    #12 crashnburn, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    Sorry. I have no bad intentions. There is major lack of clarity in certain areas.. especially given the VARIETY of things I have to do as a part of this MIGRATION. I wish this was as simple as ONE PROBLEM. It is a BUNDLE of PROBLEMS that have to be resolved.. and ALL PIECES have to SYNC UP together to make this happen.

Are you kidding me. I have not TRIED steps? I have tried every permutation & combination my dear NIT friend.
    I have lost 2-3 weeks of life for this.

People respond to question saying that DRIVERS related issue does not matter.

Everything I asked about MATTERED. Unfortunately, I am getting the steps & answers piece by piece.. from different locations. If I got the full answer in that ONE thread.. and subject then I wouldn't have to search and find pieces from all over the place.

Not a single person seems to have all THESE things covered or experienced.. If I got all the pieces of the solution in one original thread then I wouldnt have to look around and 'fork' multiple tasks.

I am having to take pieces from every person, every thread and every location and piece it together.

AND.. I APPRECIATE all the HELP and PATIENCE from EVERYONE, in EVERY LOCATION & EVERY THREAD.

Lot of diverse issues from various subject areas just for one damn migration.
    e.g.
    - Sysprep
    - VHDs, WMIs
    - Disk2VHD
    - BIOS + MBR v/s UEFI + GPT and migration from One to the other
    - How each of the above wont work in Hyper V in certain combinations.. while they do in VMWare.
    - Activation differences between both of the above
    - BIOS issues in new laptop not allowing AHCI/SATA/Compatability settings
    - Trying to boot VHD native and in VMs
    - Hyper-V v/s VMWare Workstation .. VHD & VHDX usage and limitations
    - Driver Issues with booting VHDs in Native.. Disk2VHD not sufficient

ALSO: I am seeing threads and people use all different ways to Activate win 7 for UEFI machines. No consistent SINGLE PLACE / ARTICLE/ GUIDE to jump off

And I am still far from solving it. But if I do get it.. I will write a THESIS on the pieces & steps I had to put together.

PS: I've asked and gotten pieces also on sevenforums, thinkpad forums and notebook review forums. Want me to link to those threads now?
    I will post a final HOW TO..

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009