Activating windows 7 with GPT Partition Table, no reformat, and no windows recovery?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gallaxhar, May 16, 2013.

1. gallaxhar

gallaxhar MDL Novice

May 16, 2013
    I have a windows 7 ultimate install that is in "notification mode", with a "This copy of Windows is not genuine" (Build 7601) black desktop wallpaper.

I have tried 6-7 activators and none have worked.
    I have GPT Partition Tables so Daz's loader won't work. If I reformat I would lose months of work having tons of installed and customized software that would take me weeks to reconfigure - so that's not an option.

I also can't get the Windows Recovery environment to respond to my mouse or keyboard (USB), I've gone into BIOS and tried to get it to work, etc, nothing, so timesurfer's trilogy or duality solution won't work either.

I tried the extreme loader and it said "Unknown boot device \Device\Hardiskvolume2"

I have a motherboard that doesn't appear to have a mod for it, plus that seems like asking for trouble, so I can't do that.

Is there any other alternative?

2. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #2 Humphrey, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gallaxhar

gallaxhar MDL Novice

May 16, 2013
    #3 gallaxhar, May 16, 2013
    (OP)
    screenshot:
    iDOTimgur.com/GhMl1pF.png

I did run it as administrator.
    I also ran the MBR Regenerator and rebooted before doing so.

I don't have a PS2 keyboard or mouse - I went to wal-mart and radioshack just now to get one but all they sell is USB kinds and there are no other mice/keyboard shops nearby.
    I know Duality 420 would work but I have tried everything to get the USB mouse or keyboard to be recognized in Windows RE and it just won't.

This is my motherboard: amazon.com/gp/product/B007R21JJK/
    I did go into the bios and turn on the legacy USB thing for "OSes that don't support USB drivers" or something like that, it didn't help the mice or keyboard work in Windows RE. I made sure to save changes in the BIOS.

The reason I don't want to do a BIOS mod is because I wouldn't know what I was doing and would probably mess it up.

I've used Macrium Reflect (macrium.com) to backup my hard drive data before but it doesn't transfer it over to a fresh install. I need my current software to be set up the way it is for work, I can't risk weeks of downtime having to set it all up again.

Is there a way to temporarily disable the GPT thing and get Daz's to work with my current install?
    Is there a KMSspico/nano version that works with ultimate?
    Is there a way to get IR5/Duality 420/Trilogy 4.2 to work without going through Windows RE?
    Is there a way to downgrade to professional from ultimate and then get KMS to work?

EDIT: by the way, I used slimdrivers to make sure I had the latest drivers for everything.

EDIT 2: "Did Windows 7 come preinstalled or did you install it and build it yourself?" I installed it myself

"
    Has your Windows RE ever worked?" this is the first time on this machine I needed to use it.

EDIT 3: I installed both USB drivers from this page for my OS (and rebooted for each individual one to make sure):

gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4153#dl

and then I uninstalled / reinstalled duality 420 and reintered Windows RE and still no USB or mouse reponse on any of the 6 usb ports.

4. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #4 Humphrey, May 16, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. gallaxhar

gallaxhar MDL Novice

May 16, 2013
    #5 gallaxhar, May 16, 2013
    (OP)
    I have read reviews for people who purchased this motherboard that sometimes even just upgrading the bios for legit reasons caused their machine to break, and I don't just use my computer for gaming so it's too risky.

I even noticed just now the mouse I'm using is a gigabyte mouse (same as motherboard), this is really insane..

Ok, I'll look into downgrading, I know for a fact KMS doesn't work with ultimate it says "KMS will NEVER work for .... Win 7 Ultimate" in the readme of all kms torrents. I did try it anyway, didn't work.

EDIT: Microsoft Toolkit (KMS) doesn't work either. I also researched downgrading from Ultimate to Pro and it appears it can't be done except with registry tweaks that "fake" the minor versions that will probably not solve anything anyway.

1. I'll never use GPT partition tables again
    2. I'll never use Windows Ultimate (or other retail only versions) again

Lessons learned!

6. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #6 Humphrey, May 16, 2013
  7. gallaxhar

gallaxhar MDL Novice

May 16, 2013
    Thanks Humphrey, but if I understand all of this correctly, the real mistake is using Ultimate. Enterprise has the same exact features as ultimate, yet it can be activated easily without Windows RE by MTK because it uses "Volume Licensing" which KMS activators work on. All I need to do is change the OS from ultimate to enterprise and I won't even have to do any GPT partition disabling complex stuff.

8. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Updown8 should allow that.

9. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #9 Humphrey, May 16, 2013
  10. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Of course you cannot upgrade directly. We have slightly more advanced methods here at MDL. Run Updown8, then the 7 setup and select 'Upgrade'.

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  12. gallaxhar

gallaxhar MDL Novice

May 16, 2013
    Thank you all, I went with the updown8 method and it worked, it converted Windows Ultimate to Enterprise pretty quickly and now Microsoft Toolkit (KMS) worked.
    The reason I didn't want to do a bios mod is because I don't understand bios modding at all, and when you don't understand something that much, it's easy to make mistakes.

There are some drawbacks to the updown8 method -
    All of my shortcuts in the start menu were broken. I tried 4 different programs that fix broken shortcuts and none could. I have to go through manually and make shortcuts for every program in the C:\ drive so that when clicking on an icon, windows self healing mechanism doesn't try to reinstall already installed software.

Windows Updates were broken, I had to uninstall all .NET installs and use the .NET cleaning tool etc and then finally reinstall, although that could be the blame of the Windows Enterprise iso I used.

All in all, it worked and I would do it this way again.

Thanks to everyone for your great advice, I learned a lot.
    If anyone knows of a software that can fix shortcuts from upgrading/downgrading windows when it breaks them, it would be useful to post it here!

13. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Glad we could help. :hug2: (If you do not try something then you will never learn it- bios mods) :stretcher:

Now its your turn to help someone here at the forums, get to it! :rofl: