Activating Windows Server 2008 R2 using a loader???

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by ioniancat21, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ioniancat21

ioniancat21 MDL Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Hello all;

I wanted to install a copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 on one of my boxes and wanted to use one of the loaders to accomplish this, however 7Loader does not offer activation for 2008 R2 and Daz's Loader runs, but all options are greyed-out. How would I go about activating my Server 2008 R2 machine???

Thanks, CAT

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  3. ioniancat21

ioniancat21 MDL Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Thanks anyway........

Thanks for the tip as I find the KMS solution quite interesting, the NIC solution would be nice if I wanted to add an additional NIC into the picture.

The reason I want the software mod is because it is much easier to remove if trouble strikes. Furthurmore, the machine will stay activated whereas the KMS method needs to call home and could become deactivated if I happen to forget to do it.

But long story short, I have figured out why the loader had issues and now I'm activated with 2008 R2 Enterprise!!!

Thanks again, CAT

4. Analyz3r

Analyz3r MDL Junior Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Interesting story, where can i find TEAM ZWT KMS ?

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    I do not think activator can be easily killed (at least not without SP) as this would required changes to activation process in the whole business sector (client as well as KMS servers)
    All it does is sets the client to be activated, there is no any other trace which would indicate that is was not activated by real enterprise KMS server

Of course loaders are perfectly valid solution, just one that does not appeal to me somehow (personal opinion, nothing more)

sebus

6. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    np ;)

Reading your initial reply, it suggested using a loader is not a option on windows server 2008 (r2)
    As you are a MDL expert for quite some time now, people might take your personal opinion as a fact, maybe better next time clearly state it is your opinion

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Original message edited to reflect this

sebus

8. ioniancat21

ioniancat21 MDL Member

Apr 27, 2008
    "Can't we just all get along??" LOL

Anyway, in my opinion the loader is the best option simply because it can be removed if trouble strikes or updated if Microsoft makes changes and Daz or Hazar update their offerings to counteract the issue. I've seen many attempt to mod their BIOS only to find they bricked their setup, making their mobo a paper weight. The KMS option is facinating, but in my case, I don't run my server every day so I could potentially have my activation expire, only to have reduced functionality kick in whereas the loader is permanent. I also disable Automatic Windows updates and manually choose updates instead and stay aware of fixes Microsoft puts through so when you operate in this fashion, the loader is practically invulnerable.

I hope that Daz and Hazar update their loaders and add activation for the R2 Standard and Enterprise OEM keys on the MDL site although adding the custom serial was no big deal.

9. cplmckenzie

cplmckenzie MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2009
    Help,

I have the same issue with the loader being greyed out....
    How did you work around and get all the loader options available to you.

thx

10. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    The latest version of my loader now supports Server 2008 R2 just FYI :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...