Activating with Retail key?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by madmike283, Oct 15, 2009.

1. madmike283

madmike283 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    #1 madmike283, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
    Hey guys, newbie here. I've been 7 for a while now. I ran the RC for a bit, then loaded up the Ultimate RTM when it was leaked. I used it for about 40 days on the trial before I came across a DL that included some keys. I used one of them successfully and the manual activation check that's described in the Repository comes up clean.

I just found this place and was reading about the OEM:SLP keys. Am I ok running this the way that I am, or are these keys at risk of being blacklisted down the road? Have I not gone about this the smartest way? Should I educate myself on how to change the key to an SLP one? I've attached a screenshot of the PIDX Check for your review. I'm also receiving a new ASUS laptop in a couple of days that I'm going to load up 7 x64 as soon as I get it. I'd like to activate it right away as well.

Sorry I'm not too smart on this stuff, but I wanted to ask my questions even if they don't quite make sense. Thanks guys!

2. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    If those Retail keys have been leaked on the net then yeah it has a good chance of getting blacklisted.

If your new Asus laptop already has Win 7 then you should not have to worry about activ@tion. But if it has say Vista or Xp you can always go read up in the Win 7 repository link in my signature. And then you can head over to the Bios mod section and request to have a Bios modded for you, if that is what you want.

Bios mod is a much cleaner way IMO. But there are some people who prefer doing a soft mod(Lo@ders). Soft mods have a chance of getting deactivated, but i would not worry about that just yet.

So, it boils down to personal preference as to what method you choose just read up there is a lot of info on MDL just have to want to take the time to read it all.

3. madmike283

madmike283 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    Thanks ROF. I guess I don't really understand the difference in the ISOs either. I see there are links to retail and OEM. So will the BIOS mod and OEM key work on the retail OS I installed?

I've definitely got lots more reading to do...

BTW, the Asus is coming with Vista HP x86. I figure I won't even use the 7 upgrade that I can get for it since I want to run x64.

4. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
  5. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Yes, you can.

Rather than typing everything again i will simply repost what i posted in the other thread:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    that ultimate key is still alive.. i think OP should remove tat attachment..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. madmike283

madmike283 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    I removed it. I was unclear on whether that was safe to post/share like the OEM keys in the sticky.

So what do you guys think? I don't mind doing the BIOS mod after I read up on it. Should I just run my system the way that I am with the retail key I'm using? What's the worst that will happen? They'll blacklist the key eventually and I'll be on a 30 day timer again?

Will there be other/better/easier ways to permanently activate once the 22nd hits?

8. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    I suggest u stay with ur retail key bro..

9. madmike283

madmike283 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    Well, I just tried using all four retail keys that I had available to me from the torrent to activate my new Asus laptop and none of them will work. My desktop is still currently running on one of the keys and I haven't seen any indication that it's deactivated yet.

So I guess I'll head over to the BIOS mod section to find a mod for the N51v.

10. digdug

digdug MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    Just hardmod your bios (i.e. flash your CPU with a modified bios). This way your computer has magically becomes as if it was sold with Win7 preinstalled.

You never have to worry about windows updates deactivating your OS or anything. There is simply no way to detect a hardmodded BIOS, and MS couldn't feasibly blacklist the leaked OEM keys without causing catastrophic damage to the vendor from which the key was leaked. So short story is, hard mod = good for life (for Win 7 at least!).

11. madmike283

madmike283 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    Thanks, that's what I figured. I'm having a hard time searching for my laptops model for a prior modded BIOS. I've got an N51Vn-X1A. I'll try to do some more digging before I post a request. I could've sworn that I saw something regarding my model somewhere at some point.