Activation Adventures: experimental findings

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by kelorgo, Aug 1, 2015.

1. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #1 kelorgo, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #4 Daz, Aug 1, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I believe all the pirate upgraded Win 10 editions are all automatic insider version. Because the product key seem to be the same with every pirates.

5. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Wrong. Everyone who upgrades will use the same generic keys. They're not Windows Insider keys.

Your PC's hardware basically becomes your unique activation key.

6. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    What can we learn here: FUD is persistent like dog poo at ones shoe (doggie knows all about the latter).

7. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Gotta say that somewhere relevant because i don't feel like starting a new thread wondering this. Thanks Daz corrected my misconception because i didn't stay here enough to know every details.

8. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    If you want to try out Windows 10 and maybe try to KMS activate it should it expire, then yes. Currently the problem is that Microsoft have said that they'll "expire" aka deactivate people who are not actually Insiders, but they don't say when that will happen. That's typical of Microsoft at this point as they're often either totally lacking information or they're deliberately being too vague.

Is it possible that Microsoft will have a change of heart and allow everyone who's used an Insider build to remain activated, even if they opt out of being an Insider or they weren't one in the first place? Maybe, but then that's a big loophole that'll be open for a whole year. Instead I'd expect them to block YKHCF and then "expire" everyone who has YKHCF set as their base license but isn't logged into an Insider account. Unfortunately at this point in time we can only go off what they have said that they will do though, which is that they'll "expire" your copy if you're not an Insider and you don't have a valid Windows 7 or 8.1 licence set as your base licence.

I've tried to use Microsofts wording here as they don't say "deactivate", but if they expire you then they're effectively deactivating you as they're taking your activated version of Windows 10 away from you.

9. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #11 kelorgo, Aug 1, 2015
    (OP)
    I totally see what you are saying.

I think there is one additional way to interpret "expire": Windows builds can literally expire if they are time-bombed builds or editions, regardless of activation status. For example, evaluation editions are always time-bombed. Insider Preview builds 10074, 10130 and 10162 are time-bombed as well, they currently show an end date of 2 Oct 2015. Build 10240 does not currently show an end date.

The difference is that if the build is time-bombed, then it expires even if it's never connected to the Internet again. For a deactivation of the kind you are referring to, you'd have to at least connect to the Internet.

Ignoring build 10240 specifically for the moment, interim insider builds so far have been time-bombed, and therefore if you don't keep updating to newer builds, they will eventually expire regardless of activation status anyway. That's a way in which they are forcing insiders to keep updating.

As you say, what will happen to build 10240 is anyone's guess at the moment. However, for someone who doesn't have a genuine Windows 7/8 licence, being on an activated 10240 build is as legitimate as it gets at the moment. Might as well go for it while it lasts.

10. x-project

x-project MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2010
    I did a clean install of Windows 10 RTM (WZOR LEAK) on a virtual machine and I managed to activate it with Microsoft Toolkit and it worked! The question is why did it work?

11. reagentc

reagentc MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2015
    Any idea if Parallels has something like a .vmx file where the BIOS UUID and MAC address can be edited?

12. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Microsoft Toolkit uses KMS activation. That still works in Windows 10. It has nothing to do with the points discussed in this thread.

13. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Sorry, no idea. I'd imagine there is something equivalent though.

14. cdavisdeco

cdavisdeco MDL Senior Member

Jul 8, 2015
    You mean that Enterprise Edition which is a 90 days trial will expire even if activated?

15. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

Yes Sir!

Sorry about that.

and when wave 2 updates get dropped you can kiss each and every kms crack activation bye bye :weep:

M$ will be easy on all Home and Pro Users with Wave 2 Updates and Go Real Hard On Every Windows 10 Enterprise Version

16. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    The wording "the build will eventually expire" seems to suggest that they're talking about time-bombed activation.
    It's possible the interim builds between now and the next major release will also be time-bombed. I'd say it's likely, in fact.

17. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Eh doubt it. Unless businesses start pirating Windows, MS might not bother updating KMS. Home users don't have Applocker in their task bar :).

18. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

Well your on your own, like each and everyone of you in this forum are.

Mainstream will never do something like that and get their membership canceled forever over fraud (think about that one for a min or two)

And their Company Smeared On The Front Page National News doesn't makes sense and it wont happen