Activation/Changing keys after installation???

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sdmfer, Mar 1, 2010.

1. sdmfer

sdmfer MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    Hey guys,

The other week I installed Win7x64 ultimate. Since the WAT crap, i have hidden the update. My installed Win7 is currently activated etc, but I know that if I install the new WAT from m$, it will report "not genuine" etc.

So I now have a proper .iso of x64 ultimate and a working key enterprise key from a friend.

Instead of uninstalling/reinstalling the OS, losing all of my tweaks/tuning app setups etc, is there a way I can change the key and use the new one I just got. Then I should be able to pass WAT without worry going forward.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Fast responses are hugely appreciated cause I really only have time to do this tonight. (too many kids).

Thanks in advance all.,

2. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
    1. you have Ultimate installed so you cannot use the Enterprise key

you will have to reinstall your OS to the Enterprise Edition or get a legit Ultimate Key

2. if you used a loader to activate, you can use Daz's loader to change the key but it will not do you any good as the versions don't match

good luck

3. sdmfer

sdmfer MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    Sorry let me rephrase. the Key is actually for ultimatex64, but was from his work. So it was a key for the whole office/enterprise.

4. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
    im no expert, but i have changed my keys when i used a loader with the same loader, download Daz's loader in the sticky, go to Advanced Options, and you will see the option to enter a key.

good luck

5. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    #6 WinFLP, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Volume licencing for businesses is only availible for Professional and Enterprise edition, not Ultimate edition.

to change product key, at an administrator command prompt:
    Code:
    slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

6. sdmfer

sdmfer MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    thanks guys,

isnt there an option if you right click my computer and on the summary screen to "change key" or something like that? Wont that work or am I missing something?

7. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    I think you are missing the ability to read the two answers above your last post.
    Please Read them now. :)

8. sdmfer

sdmfer MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    sorry about that doing this from iphone right now. I just thought that the "change product key" would have been the easier route, then if it works i could go ahead and install the Kb971033 update from ms and continue with life.

9. nash58

nash58 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Why would u need to install the kb971033 in order for u to continue with your life. Forget abt the WAT update, hide it and u can still live your life without it like what i did.

10. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Go to control panel then system what does it say. At the bottom is where you install your ultimate retail key. This is RTM 64bit right. How long you had it? Otherwise you can keep rearming trial which you still should have unless it's been more than 30 days. Or you can use loader to activate.

11. sdmfer

sdmfer MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    Ok, back on a normal computer now. (the one in question).

Anyways, I dont have the option on the properties screen to change key so I will change via command line etc.

Just to recap, heres the deal/summary:
    - currently using ultimate x64 which is working and activated.
    - I have the WAT update hidden, but if I were to install it, i know this version wouldnt pass.
    - I got a legit key for ultimate x64 and would like to update that and install WAT update to ensure it passes etc.

I know I could just continue the way I am right now (because i havent installed the update) but for peace of mind, I would like to have everything working and not have to worry about accidentally installing the update, or what to do if/when MS forces everyone to have it. Know what I mean? Id just rather get it all set up now and not worry so to speak.

12. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #13 timesurfer, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  13. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    #14 WinFLP, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  14. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007

Firstly - M$ are not going to FORCE this on anybody - They might make it a part of SP1.

Secondly - how do you know your version wouldn't pass ? Why not make a system backup with a third party tool and then try it - it isn't destroying systems like it was supposed to - it doesn't catch apparently obvious BIOS modifications provided they don't have the Lenovo key and there is some arguement about that. It doesn't seem to be rendering most loaders ineffective.

To change the key through the GUI use Control Panel->System - "change Product key" is near the "Windows is Activated" logo at the bottom of the System box.

I am confused about the key you got from your friend who got it from his work. Is it a retail key - if so probably won't activate and will get your friend into deep s**te.

If it is an OEM key - likewise probably won't activate and will get your friend into deep s**te..

If it is a Royalty OEM key why bother with all this messing around ?

I don't know of any other Ultimate keys but I could be wrong.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. sdmfer

sdmfer MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    #16 sdmfer, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
    (OP)
    SIGHHHHH. ..

1) point. I said I was using iphone becuase its crappy to read more than a few lines when your on the go like I am. Let a lone typing a lot of detail. This is the only reason i mentioned it, not because i was like...."im the coolest guy around, everyone should know that Im looking at forums via an Iphone."

2) the version Im using is this which self activated and didnt require me to enter any key: "Microsoft.Windows.7.ULTIMATE.x64.Integrated.Februa ry.2010.OEM.DVD-BIE" ( i know this wont pass because i heard from a guy who tried it )

3) under sys properties at the bottom of pager under "windows activation" is says:
    - windows is activated
    - Product ID: xxx-xxx-xxx and to the far right of that as the "ask for genuine microsoft software" button with "learn more online" link right underneath that icon.
    Thats it!

4) i know MS wont FORCE this, but i want a system where i can update and keep up to date etc.

16. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Maybe but I don't know. WGA has not been part of a vista or XP service pack.

I'm a major non-fan of preactivated editions. Much easier to get an untouched ISO then use the activation method of your choosing, which can be easily removed if you desire.

Anywho, if the disc didn't castrate your activation files, you can just try using Daz's loader. It has reported very successful with this update.

17. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #18 Rosco, Mar 2, 2010
    SIGHHHHHHH

Have you even read anything on these forums ???

The BIE ISO is being discovered so get a decent ISO and install from that. The non-integrated loaders seem to be working where BIE's has been hit. This was always obviously M$ main target - ISO's integrated with loaders that pirates can sell - they have always said so.

How were we expected to know what crap you installed without asking ????

The option to change the key in System has been there in every system I've seen - but then I've never used the integrated DVDs.

You never responded to the question about the key you have obtained - I think your friend is probably going to regret giving it to you when he loses his job.

PS - thanks for the big SIGHHHH implying the people who volunteered to try to help you are stupid - REMEMBER we are not the ones with the problem - my systems have always run like clockwork because I learnt how to manage them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. sdmfer

sdmfer MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    #20 sdmfer, Mar 2, 2010
    (OP)
    I have no problem with you asking for more details, i appreciate the help from people on forums. I belong to a bunch of other forums and I am a HUGE help to others as well.

Today was more of a rush thing, and I didnt read through this forum too much before posting. It was the smartass comment about the iphone which kind of got to me a little. I didnt mean to create a giant thread originally. I also originally thought that this would have been something simple that would have resulted in somthing like: ...hey dude, do this, then this and thats it. But this is my fault, it clearly can be and is more complicated then i thought.

On that note though, yes its strange, no change key option.

regarding where buddy got the new key from....your starting to scare me. Maybe I should just say f'it and wait for a while.

ACTUALLY, i have the ISO here with me too that the guy gave me. Is there something I can look for within the contents of the disc to see if its clean/legit? or is there something that I can look for in the disc to see if it also is a version which is already all over the internet etc?