Activation Issue after Upgrading to Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by khalid_ham33d, Jul 3, 2013.

1. khalid_ham33d

khalid_ham33d MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2012
    Hello! Few days before, when Windows 8.1 preview became available, I tried to install it to my PC. I had installed Windows 8 Pro EN-GB and then activated it via KMS and then used the WMC Upgrade key when Microsoft offered. When I tried to install the Upgrade via store, it gave me error, which I resolved via the Registry Tweak and converted my installation to EN-US. After that I upgraded to Windows 8.1 Preview via Store. When I logged into Windows 8.1 the first time, my activation broke up and said that key was illegal (I activated Windows 8 Pro WMC in the very beginning when Microsoft didn't block anything). I then tried to use Advanced Tokens Manager to restore the activation but that didn't help as it said that I'm using a different version. After that I had to reinstall Windows 8 Pro WMC via the MSDN ISO and then had to activate via Advanced Tokens Manager. It is now working fine but I wish to know if there is a way I can use Windows 8.1 Preview which is activated or cracked by some means?

2. khalid_ham33d

khalid_ham33d MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2012
    Thanks for your reply but is there any way I can continue with my current key and upgrade the installation?

3. roylion15

roylion15 MDL Member

May 1, 2009
  4. Chris123NT

Chris123NT MDL Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    It's because you activated via KMS first and then went to WMC.

I'm willing to bet the base KMS activation was done against a server whos host key was blacklisted.