Activation issues after cloning hdd

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tsk5, Aug 10, 2012.

1. tsk5

tsk5 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2012
    I had Windows 7 Ultimate installed on a hard drive using Daz's Windows Loader. The drive was giving me a bios error every time the computer booted (although it still booted windows and loaded everything fine). I cloned the drive onto a new hdd, but on the new drive, Windows claims that it is no longer genuine. I ran Windows loader again and I can't uninstall it or reinstall it. I was able to run MBR Regenerator which removed the old activation key, but I still can't install anything new. I've tried running slmgr.vbs to install a new key, but I get "Error:80070005 Access denied: the requested action requires elevated privileges" even though I've ran cmd as administrator.

I ran MGADiag and it won't let me use the copy button. It gives the error:Failed to create output files, hr = 0x80070002. Please contact support.

I have no idea what's going on. Is there anyway to save my windows installation?

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    My very limited experience with cloning Windows 7 says don't do it. XP was easy to clone, but, like you, the couple of times I tried cloning 7 it failed. It's been maybe two years since my cloning failed but your error messages sound very familiar.

What I have had success with is Windows 7 built-in system imaging. As long as the new drive was the same size, or larger, than the old drive and the same basic type, an image restoration always worked.

Sorry to say it, but the drives I did clone I eventually wiped and reinstalled 7 from scratch. After serious nagging errors, I prefer to start fresh, but that's just me.

3. LewSkannen

LewSkannen MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    +1

I agree, backup manually all your files and do a fresh install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You should have been able to clone the disk and keep windows activation that is the whole point.
    another point did you remove old drive before booting from new one, people on acronis forum had the same problem system not being activated.