Activation of clean install after upgrade using gwx.exe vs using Media Creation Tool

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mjwbase, Jan 2, 2016.

1. mjwbase

mjwbase MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2015
    Following up to my thread on the 0x803f7001 activation error on a clean install (sorry don't have enough posts to be able to put a link)

Did a new install of Windows 7 on one of the Thinkpads (using a borrowed set of manufacturer's DVDs) and then did the upgrade again, this time using the GWX icon to start it off - then swapped drives and the clean install activated OK

Windows 7 to Win 10 using Media Creation Tool - clean install activation fails with 0x803f7001
    Windows 7 to Win 10 using gwx.exe - clean installation activation works OK

Anyone else able to prove / disprove the above? So far I have the following possibilities:

1. Upgrade using Media Creation Tool is bugged and doesn't send the right data to Microsoft's activation servers
    2. Microsoft's activation servers are not always storing the activation data correctly during the upgrade

Thanks, Mark

2. e_sentinel

e_sentinel MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2009
    ESD with a wrong SKU, IMO.

3. mjwbase

mjwbase MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2015
    Original update was from factory installed Windows 7 Pro SP1 OEM - Windows 10 Pro was the result of the upgrade and showed as activated
    Re-install was from factory restore CDs install of Windows 7 Pro SP1 - Windows 10 Pro was the result of the upgrade and showed as activated

Both Win 7 installs were all current updates before the upgrade - only difference was GWX vs Media Creation Tool

4. e_sentinel

e_sentinel MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2009
    Yes, I know what you mean. Bug in MCT gave you a mismatched SKU. That is why the activation has failed.

5. mjwbase

mjwbase MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2015
    interesting - so is it best to avoid MCT? and seeing I upgrade machines for clients, should I take the extra time to change the drive out and do a clean install each time to make sure activation worked?

Last thing I want is a machine to need a re-install say in a years time and Windows 10 will not activate