Activation options, W7 SP1 x64 on uefi with gpt?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by g2dab, Feb 17, 2013.

1. g2dab

g2dab MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    Hi everyone, I have an issue.. I've searched but so far no luck. I have an HP Envy dv6-7260he laptop I bought for my son for Christmas. It shipped with W8, which I probably would have just kept and gotten used to if it were mine, but my son is familiar with W7 and I couldn't teach him how to use something I didn't know how to use myself so I did a clean install of W7. The path I took was kinda different though, instead of a typical install I chose to keep UEFI and GPT, seemed cleaner to just cut out the MBR and take advantage of newer tech - plus I hadn't performed that kind of install yet, so I decided to try something new and different for the sake of learning.

Unfortunately what I didn't take into consideration was the fact that Daz's loader doesn't work with this kind of install, and the read me notes instruct me to reformat the regular way and then activate.. I really, really want to avoid this. Downgrading new W8 HP laptops to W7 isn't fun, and I'd rather not go through all the driver installation and program installation again if it can be avoided.

I don't know much about bios/slic mods, actually the wealth of info on this site about that is why I decided to register as a member here, but I don't have nearly enough confidence attempting anything myself without having explicit instructions when it comes to the bios. That's above my pay grade I believe, lol. Can anyone offer me some insight as to where I should go from here? If I have to reinstall everything I guess that's the way it goes sometimes, but if there's any other way I can work around this issue, I'd definitely appreciate the assistance. Thanks in advance for any direction anyone can provide! If any other details regarding my system are necessary, just let me know. Bios is one of the Insyde models.. didn't write down the exact one before I started this post, but can post if needed. Thanks all!

g2dab

2. g2dab

g2dab MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    That was my concern, I was pretty iffy about a bios mod, because I know that if I screw one little thing up my mobo is toast... Gotta try that on a couple older pc's first til I get the hang of it, lol. I agree with your sig - take my time and learn a little bit everyday.. I downloaded the MS toolkit at the advice of vymrdal above, not familiar with the program at all though so I'm going to look at the KMS info link in your sig and see if I can figure it out. Thanks for your advice guys!

g2dab

** Update:
    Well, apparently I have a retail version of W7, which certainly wasn't my intention, so I am unable to use KMS for activation.. Man, this is tons of fun, lol

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Let MTK install the proper KMS client key for your OS and edition and then you should be set.

4. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Startisback is always an option for your start menu fiasco and then you could put back the sidebar. Much easier than downgrading and fiddling around with activation methods :rolleyes:

5. maxtom

maxtom MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    have you tried the SLICToolkit to see if your computer has an SLIC table?
    if the table is there, you're lucky, you wont need any modification at all, just the OEM key + Certificate.

6. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    ...but, it shipped with Win8...

7. maxtom

maxtom MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    i've seen computers shipped with vista that with a simple bios update (official, not modded) gain SLIC 2.1 tables.
    he won't loose anything if he tries.

8. AlexAlba

AlexAlba MDL Addicted

Nov 27, 2012
    Daz loader is my go to Windows 7 Activation.
    My piece of advice is to do a clean install of Windows 7 (BIOS & MBR).

You can install Windows on a VM and play around with the different activation tools until you find the one that works best for you. ;)

9. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    KMS activation only works on Windows 7 Pro or Enterprise. I did not see which version you installed. You MAY be able to do an Anytime Upgrade and then go with KMS activation.

10. cerbero

cerbero MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2013
    I have the same problem with a Lenovo B570, Uefi mother with GPT partition.

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  12. fscussel

fscussel MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2013
    I have no idea on how to install this. I have downloaded all the attachments included in the first post, exactracted all to the same dir and then run Install.bat. Is says it didn't find the WindSLIC, the install certificante, etc, and the ask for reboot. Nothing changes. Still activate period. So how to fix this? I am NOT using UEFI, I am using a GPT disk with windows 7 64 in old mode, not UEFI. Is this a problem?