Activation Question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lazloo, Jan 20, 2011.

1. lazloo

lazloo MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2010
    I bought an OEM copy of Windows 7 Pro x64 from Newegg.

I installed it using the Product Key but did not activate it.

A couple days later I decided that I would build another computer and since I needed another copy of Windows decided joining Technet would be the easiest/cheapest solution.

So, I uninstalled the copy of Windows 7 Pro OEM that I purchased - again, it was never activated.

My question is, if I sell that OEM copy of Windows, can be activated by the new buyer? Can I tell them it has never been activated (it hasn't) and that it will work for them? Or does the act of entering the Product Key on install lock that OEM OS to that computer already?

(And if you're wondering why I didn't go with a SLIC mod, the motherboards both have the new 1155 socket, meaning the BIOSes are being updated regularly. There have been 7 updates to the BIOS on one of my motherboards in just the last 14 days. I didn't want to have to pester NoJuan, Serge, et.al. for a new mod every other day...)

2. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    OEM lives and dies on the computer, its not transferable to another pc but you can give it away/sell it with the pc,,,not sure how you bought it if it wasn't on a pc?, easiest and cheapest thing to do for your new system would be to use daz loader, I think the daz loader loads after your bios so updating your own bios dont matter.