Actual Location Of Windows Security Icon

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Davy49, May 9, 2020.

1. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Hi,
    To keep a long story short, I was running a recent build of insider fast branch but started having some issues with it. Normally I would simply just perform the 'go back to previous version' function, but in my case for some reason I had decided to delete the windows.old folder, thus I didn't have the option of going back. That's when I made the decision to switch to the slow branch of builds. Of the only way to install the latest slow branch build was to perform a clean installation (which I hate to do), the installation went well and it didn't take me very long to re-install the program's, etc. that I lost during the installation. While I was still running the fast build a lot of my windows icon's had already been updated to the newer fluent style icon's. One icon that was yet to be changed was the windows security program icon, I have obtained a file that contains mostly all of the new fluent style icon's. My issue is I don't know where to actually locate the windows security icon so I can hopefully change it. I've installed a program called Resource Hacker that's supposed to be able to help change icon's. Does anyone know the location of the windows security icon, is it contained in a folder with other icon's or in a seperate folder ? Thanks for any help provided.
    David

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Windows Security icons are in
    %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\EppManifest.dll
    and
    %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Defender\EppManifest.dll

SecurityHealthSystray icon is in
    %windir%\System32\SecurityHealthSystray.exe

The use of Resource Hacker is by no means recommended.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Hi kaljukass,
    Thanks for the information, so if you don't recommend using resource hacker, do you know how to change the icons to the fluent design style that I have on my computer
    David

4. The following folder contains all icons from Windows Defender:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI_cw5n1h2txyewy\Assets
    Don't you just have to edit those files / replace them?
    upload_2020-5-9_20-17-10.png

Where were you able to find a file that contains all fluent icons?

5. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    luzea,
    I tried uploading the zip file that contains the fluent design icon's in it (upon checking the individual file's within the zip file, while it does have quite a few of them it might not be all of them, anyway I received a prompt that said the file size was too large to upload. So I thought I could at least upload some of them so you could see them, I did indeed locate & open the file that you mentioned. All of the windows security icon's are displayed, from that location I don't see anyway to change my current icon to the newer one. Microsoft can surely make things difficult sometimes/
    David

Attached Files:

6. And where are the files located on your system?

7. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    They are contained in a zip file in file explorer.

8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Yes, I know. You shouldn't change them at all, as soon as You change windows default .dll or .exe file, is Your Windows damaged and may at all not work.
    In real life You usually use shortcuts with icons or thumbnails. If you use shortcuts, then in properties is an option to use/change whatever icon You want if You don't like default icon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. From a Windows source or downloaded from the web?

10. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    I'll check the source, I ran the file through virus total and windows security, nothing was discovered.