Add "Edit" to the Context Menu for .PPS and .PPSX files

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by Straydog, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Straydog

Straydog MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2011
    I need to add "Edit" for .PPS and .PPSX files to the Context Menu. Until Office 2010 the Edit key was not on the registry for the PowerPoint.SlideShow. entry, so I just added one, it appeared on the context menu when right clicking on one of those files and the problem was solved. For 2010 the Edit key is already there, so there is nothing to add, but it does not show up on the context menu.

Searching, I found a way to add an Edit key on the context menu, but as it is added at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\customEditPPSX, it appears on ALL context menus, not only for .PPS and .PPSX files, and this is inconvenient because there is a permanent Edit position, often a second one when another already exists for other files. If the registry already contains an Edit key for that files and it does not appear on the menu, there is no point trying to modify it.

How can I solve this, please.

2. froulik

froulik MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2012
    A way to Add 'Edit' to the contxt menu

Hello Straydog

I'm an old user of Total commander and maybe i can get you a way to do the job.
    I use this way to add actions to the context menu.
    No changes will be done by this prog to your system and you've got nothing to be afraid of...

download total commander from ghisler.com site
    there are a x86 and a x64bit versions. take the one you prefer.

install and run it

you get 2 windows
    select the left or the right one (no matter)
    and browse to a pps file
    select it (one simple click or spacebar)

Files
    Associate with
    Edit type
    New
    Action (verb) : Edit (or what you want)
    Command (program) >>
    browse to the prog you want to open
    OK
    OK
    OK

and voila you (normally) got it.
    Do the same thing with a ppsx file...

Hope it will help :)

3. Straydog

Straydog MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2011
    Thank you very much for trying to help. I followed your instructions, but there is a problem.

I replied three times and all disappeared. The first one was my fault, but the other two happened when the browser redirected to an empty page; then I tried going back and forth, uselessly. As this made me fed up of repeating myself, please excuse me if I happen not to be enough clear now. Now, I copy the text to another place before trying to post it...

As I said, I used to do this directly on the registry itself because before Office 2010 the shell reg key did not include an Edit sub-key, so I only had to add one by hand, very easy, and it worked as with any other program.

On 2010 the Edit sub-key for PowerPoint Slideshows is already in the registry (as I wrote by the end of my starting post), but it does not appear on the context menu (strange but real, and anyone can confirm this). So when I do as you say on Total Commander, the Edit command is already there and I have nothing else to add. Am I going to add another Edit command?! How?

The problem is:
    • The Edit sub-key exists in the registry with its respective command under the shell sub-key, under each PowerPoint.SlideShow.x registry entry. Its default string value is &Edit, meaning that is should be accessed on the context menu through the E shortcut, but this is an illusion because it does not appear on that menu at all.
    • I cannot add a second Edit command, once there is one already there, even if not working.
    • In my modest not skilled opinion, Microsoft intended that the Edit option should not appear on the context menu, which I find crazy, but this is the way it is.
    • So this is not my private issue I am trying to solve, and what I need is rather a hack to change this behaviour.
    How can I do this, please?

4. froulik

froulik MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2012
    I understand your problem with the registry.
    As a 'edit' key still exist, did you try with changing the verb in 'Edit with' or 'Change' or wathever you can imagine in the 'Action' window ?
    And what about trying to delete this subkey before doing the trick ?

5. Straydog

Straydog MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2011
    Thank you for the useful suggestions.

I Looked up the command line switches (no links allowed, so you will not know the different places where I found the information!). After learning that they are the same as for 2010 and 2013 version, I tried most of them and came to the conclusion that the problem is on the Edit shell commend name on the registry. Nothing that I added changed anything or made the Edit command appear on the context menu, except for the "command" multi-string value on the right side of the registry editor under the "(Default)" value, which was supposed to be the usual command line.

After lots of trial I just dropped the /VU switch from both lines (Default and command) and "Edit" finally appeared, but not on both .PPS and .PPSX. For that I had to do the same for each corresponding registry key.

Things are sometimes complicated when we try to maintain a switch and change it because it was originally there. My problem is that I never understood (and still don't) what the newer multi-string command is for. Also, the /VU switch must be newer po Powerpoint than the above mentioned MS page on Powerpoint switches because it is not there and I couldn't find it anywhere else. I have been looking for a correct solution for over a year, so I live it like this without any more searching.
    Thanks again.

P. S. – There is definitely a problem posting here. If for any reason we take a little longer to finish writing the post and then click on Submit Reply we are taken to the login page. After logging in the browser does not redirect to the post as announced. Instead, it goes to a blank page, and if we have not saved the writing somewhere on the computer, we can do anything with the browser, but the post is lost for good. With Firefox this does not happen with most sites. With some we can even close the browser and the post is still there when it is reopened. Sometimes we can do lots of browsing without losing anything on an text window.

6. Straydog

Straydog MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2011
    This may seem ridiculous, but a few months after this thread I found a better and easier way to solve what seemed to be a problem to me, but it is not. o_O

On PowerPoint 2010 context menu there a "New" option. A simple click on it opens the file to edit.

I believed I should tell it here in the case someone ignored it like me and was looking for the same.

7. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #7 Mr Jinje, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. ytxmobile

ytxmobile MDL Novice

May 29, 2013
    thank you so much