added printers; now it won't boot

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lismith, Jan 16, 2009.

1. lismith

lismith MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2009
    I've been running Windows 7 for a week and had no problem at all until this morning, when I added a networked printer (HP photosmart) and installed Bullzip PDF printer. Shortly afterward Windows started crashing, then blue-screened with a memory dump. Now it won't boot into Windows 7 at all. Even in safe mode it starts to boot, then flashes a blue screen error (so quickly I can't read it) and restarts.

Anybody else had problems with either a network printer or a virtual printer driver?

2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    No issues with USB printer here. Win7 didn't have the drivers I click on Windows Update and it downloaded the drivers for me.

After it reboots press F8 and you should be able to select do not reboot on failure or something I forget the exact wording. At least that way you will be able to see what the blue screen is being caused by.

My only guess would be the PDF Printer driver, I have not tried any PDF Printers on Windows 7 yet so I do not know if it is that or the HP Drivers. Are you using Vista HP Drivers or Windows 7 Drivers?

3. lismith

lismith MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2009
    This is weird! I rebooted, selected the option to not restart on errors, and ...it booted right up into Windows 7.

The only difference between now and then is that the laptop was running on battery earlier (not low by any means) and now it's plugged in. I have no idea if that would make any difference. It's back up and running as if nothing ever happened. Both printers are there and working correctly.

4. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    #5 HSChronic, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
    I have time to see if it will bork my install, this way I have an excuse to put x64 on this box.

**Edit**

The PDF printer works, so I am guessing it is the HP drivers. I would see if there are any dump files (.dmp) in the Windows 7 install directory to see if you can't trace down the problem and report it.