Adding SSD to HDD

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Hannibal Lecter, Dec 26, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    #1 Hannibal Lecter, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
    I want to install an SSD to this desktop I am using now.

I have searched but not found a guide on how to install the SDD here in the MDL forum. Did I miss it?

Is it wise to do this only, when you want to do a clean install anyway?

What do I have to look out for, before I start?

Thanks.

2. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    Thanks once again jayblok, the hardware part was easy, once I got the side extensions, so it fitted in the slot.

But how do I get only the programs I want to start on the SSD over there, likem obviusly the slow Firefox withn its add-ons, and leave the rest of the data on the HDD?

I am hoping you have another video like the first one for me, that will show me how to do that? As an example, I have about 80 GB of music on the HDD, and that is where I want those to remain...

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You can't just copy programs to another drive unless they are portable because some programs require to install files on windows partition. If you SSD is large enough then just Clone your hard drive to SSD then when finished format the hard drive and transfer you Music date files e.c.t to hard drive. After that delete music file from SSD. Or If you have more than 80 GB of space left on your hard drive I would partition your hard drive and Move your music files to new partition then image your windows and hidden boot partiton to SSD.

4. stevemk14ebr

stevemk14ebr MDL Senior Member

Jun 23, 2010
    like Urie said you can't just copy the programs over, you have a few options 2 of which are do a complete reformat (MAKING SURE TO MAKE BACKUPS OF IMPORTANT FILES ON A DIFFERENT DRIVE) or you can copy programs settings (google how to do so for each program) and then reinstall the program on your ssd and copy your old settings back to the new drive

5. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    Yes, I planned to make an updated copy of everything on the HDD ad reformat it. And then do a clean install. Then install Win 7, incl DAZ Loader, and programs like Ff with its add-ons, and other programs I use all the time on the SSD. The rest I want keep on the HDD (if that makes sense)
    As I never had an SSD, or two different disks on my computer, my question is probabaly: When installing software, will I be asked each time on which of the two I want to install something? And am I free to choose whichever I want?

I undestand that for you this is an almost non-sensical question, but as I said, I never had two different drives before.

6. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    ultimately the best choice is to install applications on the ssd because of faster start up times on ssd for the applications,or the apps you would most often use on a day to day basis and for quick access to the apps,the only thing that you would not want to install is PC games,install them on your hard drive,as i have noticed no speed increase in gameplay(personally)only for game start up is faster and that is it,actual gameplay i see no difference,but yea,install day to day applications on ssd

7. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    When installing a program don't just keep clicking next. At some point the installer asks if you want a regular setup or advanced. Choose advanced and you'll be able to choose where to install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    That still doesn't solve the problem if it needs to install files to windows e,c,t if you were to format the SSD or reinstall windows those programs would not work without reinstallation that is why I mentioned portable versions (or Stand alone Exe ) if possible.

9. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    Thinking back, I clean install Win7 about once a year. Usually I do it, because some of the programs, even Win7 slows down, seems to be messed up, no clean up helps, and I just wipe it as I have copies of my files. So, would make a portable version a difference?
    Potables Version would mean a plugged in SSD via USB and boot automatically from that one?

10. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    Yes, that is what was planning to do.

11. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    Thank you, that is what I wanted to know.

I thank you all for your patience, but I know from experience, if I start something like that and it is not really clear I get stuck in the middle, and end up in a mess

12. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    I simply leave them where they are on the old HDD? The SSD will access them from there?
    The slowest one is as always firefox (I know, its the add-ons), I can leave it where it is?