Admin needs permissions???

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by venu, Mar 2, 2012.

1. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    OK, I'm the be all and end all on my computer but I get the message "access denied to folder: need admin permissions" (or something close to that) every now and then, I think mostly when I want to copy folders. The dialog box has a "Continue" button with a shield icon. Clicking on Continue button does the needful. But point is why?

UAC is disabled on this machine (set to never notify), I'm an admin user and I've further edited permissions to give myself full permissions. Stuff I noticed:

1) This is happening everytime while trying to copy a file into C:\windows or delete something there. E.g. I wanted to delete the contents of C:\windows\software distribution\download and I get this message.

2) When I edited permissions to give myself full, there were multiple popups about it not being applicable to various folders such as c:\swapfile, c:\windows and so on.

This machine is dual booting 7 and 8 on a single hdd.

2. OvaryActing

OvaryActing MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2011
    disable real time protection in windows defender

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Nope, that doesn't help.

This behavior is different from win7 because as an identical user there I never get these prompts.

4. trickstar

trickstar MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2008
    are you using the built in Administrator account?

5. coggy9

coggy9 MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2011
    UAC is never off without a registry edit in Windows 8. You can turn UAC off, but then all Metro apps will refuse to open.

6. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    No, I'm using the regular admin account (i.e. a user with admin rights), that's where this issue occurs. No such problem in the inbuilt admin account, so now I've just copied over my profile to the superadmin's and am functioning from there.

7. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Bingo! I had completely forgotten about EnableLUA! I set it to zero and the problem's gone. Thanks for reminding me!

8. bodyzen

bodyzen MDL Junior Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Good ;) :) ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. luke7

luke7 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    #9 luke7, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
    Does anyone know if it is possible to unlock the build-in Administrator account, so you can use all the metro apps?

If you enable Net user administrator /active:yes
    you cannot access apps like reader etc.

Edit found it. build-in Administrator account now works with all my apps

10. silverkid

silverkid MDL Novice

May 13, 2011
    @luke7,
    How did you make the Admin account work with the Metro apps? Please do share, thanks :D