Administrative Rights in Win7 driving this guy crazy!!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by PanzerHauptmann, Oct 19, 2009.

1. PanzerHauptmann

PanzerHauptmann MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2009
    Currently have been running Win7 RTM for few months now on my new HP, having no issues whatsoever, but I must say the Admin rights and UAC are driving me up the wall.

You name it, I've tried it. Shell commands, a program called "Take Ownership" (batch file that issues string to assume full auth. over and file/folder), assigning ownership thru GUI... Nothing seems to work 100%, thou. I've had moderate success, however now the only issue left is a strange one. It seems as thou when there is a folder with files and/or other folders inside of it, occasionally regardless of what you do Win7 will NOT allow the folder to be deleted, under ANY circumstances. Once you go into the folder and manually erase the files, then exit the folder and THEN attempt to erase it, only then will it erase.

Same annoying message comes up that I need permission from myself in order to erase that folder. Very quirky. Is this a bug or some deliberate hacking counter-measure of some sort the geniuses at M$ have come up with?

2. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Disable UAC?

UAC is meant to make Windows safer by requireing user input for things that require admin access.
    The old way of doing things (Users being default admins and having no prompts to install/modify things) is a bit of a security risk, especially when compared to how things are done in Linux -- where the "root" account is the administrator and users are just that, users.
    UAC was Microsofts response to the security issue... though it's more of a bandaid than a fix, since users are still Admins. However now, you'll be prompted to manually click an OK or Cancel when doing something needing admin rights.

3. PanzerHauptmann

Oct 19, 2009
    Thats just it, I'm attempting to delete some random folder that happens to have a couple files in it and win7 says I require permission. Once the files are manually erased inside aforementioned folder, then folder in question can then proceed to the recycle bin where it will then lead a slow, agonizing death and eventually evaporate into the abyssmal depths of cyberspace. :D

4. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    The folder is probably inside a protected folder, or is protected itself.

5. Brandypuff

Brandypuff MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    I tried to live with UAC in Win7, but ...

I finally gave up in frustration and disabled it. It was a royal pain in the a**
    to get anything done and it broke various batch scripts, services i run, etc.

6. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    In Vista the thing is very worse,:mad: it asks your authorization for almost everything. In W7 UAC is lighter and it only asks for your authorization when the operation is really critical.

Get used to friend, that is a system characteristic and it is good for you, for your own protection.:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. PanzerHauptmann

Oct 19, 2009
    So, you're sayin Win7 UAC is kinda like condoms? Nobody likes em but their for everyones protection, right???:D

8. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I don't even really notice it anymore and I have UAC turned all the way up.
    The Linux crowd likes to complain how UAC is annoying, yet root is just as bad if not worse (in terms of annoyance) since you have to type in a password, not just click a button.
    Run it as Admin.
    Or better yet, see if you can re-write it to NOT require admin access.

9. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I agree ! When running good third-party virus and malware software along with a strong firewall application (other than the built in one), you can turn that s**t completly OFF without a worry. The security-risk will be very very minimal and nothing to worry about. imho UAC is very much overrated !

10. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Don't get me wrong. UAC is a very good initiative in trying to cave in the security risks, but it still needs a lot of tweaking before funcioning as it should. Untill then, shut it down, there are enough alternative security measures that can be taken to get pretty much the same result.

11. BuonaDomenica

BuonaDomenica MDL Senior Member

Aug 27, 2009
    UAC is the first thing I turn off after a Win7 install. Second thing is adjust for best performance to get rid of the animation crap.

So far no infection with UAC off. I found that thing really annoying. I don't need the UAC Nanny to look after me :D

12. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I keep admin approval mode on. It is better to not allow executables to write directly to program file folders. The thing to do is go into your local security policy and tweak the UAC settings in there, for instance I run all admins in admin approval mode, but any UAC aware installers or programs will prompt for permission without switching to the secure desktop if they need it otherwise they auto-elevate.

What is the location of the folder your trying to delete?

13. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    A funcionality which is included in a lot of good security-suites like AVG internet security or ESET. If running such a suite, UAC really isn't that important. As I said, very much overrated. Same goes for defender. That application is just crap compared to other alternatives...

14. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    From an admin command prompt run:
    net user administrator /active
    Log off and login as Administrator - piss off your other user.
    All your problems will now be solved ;-)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. PanzerHauptmann

Oct 19, 2009

Yeah thats a good suggestion but you know how Windows saves each user's profile, desktop layout, docs, personal info, etc. matching each individual's users accout. When I log in under Admin I just get a blank desktop and none of my custom stuff... is there any easy way to port one user acct. settings over to another? If so then yeah Ill do this way you recommend.

16. PanzerHauptmann

Oct 19, 2009
    Would you recommend AVG over Avast!? Not sure if avast has suite, but so far Ive been using Avast! pro edition in combination with Outpost Firewall x64. If an all-inclusive suite performs better under the same program name then perhaps ill switch to AVG. AVG have x64 support?

17. bencasina

bencasina MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    suites

i would stick to what you have, suites are overated, a good antivirus like avast or avg + windows firewall (or other) and malwarebytes antispyware is the best in my opinion.

18. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    ah, but i don't mean norton or any of that other cr*p. But avg has a great AV software, but the suite is even better. You have everything you just mentioned under one hood, and all working perfectly. You can set everything just the way you want it. Eset is very powerfull too, and both use very little resources.
    Sure, a AV + firewall + malware agent from different vendors will work evenly good, but i bet it'll eat more of your resources.

And yes, avg has 64 bit support.

19. MarcusT

MarcusT MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2009
    Hahaha! Yes, EXACTLY! Great analogy! ;)

20. MarcusT

MarcusT MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2009