Advantages of Win 7 over Vista

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Nicholas440, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Nicholas440

Nicholas440 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    Hi all,

I thought I could gather up some opinions here about Windows 7 and its advantage or disadvantages over Vista.

I currently run Vista Ultimate x86 and Ive never had any problems with it, as far as speed, and what I can do with it.

Are there any specific advantages of Windows 7 that would make anyone want to upgrade to it beside the fact that its the newest OS from Microsoft? I read a lot of the posts here and it doesnt seem that Win 7 has anything earth shaking in it or does anything special .

What are your opinions, good and bad about Win 7 ? Would you dump Vista to use Win 7 ? and why ?

Thanks...:biggrin:

2. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Speed, reliability, more beautiful interface, quick boot, many new features and so on...
    Why are you asking this? It is so obvious, many people were claiming that Vista is like an Elephant and it was the longest beta test in the world. I personally, never had any problems with Vista but Seven is the best OS ever made by MS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BDX

BDX MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Windows 7 does every little thing a little bit better but if you don't have any major problems with Vista I don't see any significant reason to switch yet. Especially if you are considering to buy it.

4. jdmohn

jdmohn MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2010
    Win 7 has better graphics, at least on my desktop it did, but that could be that there are better drivers (up to date). Plus there are alot of programs that I found work better and don't take up alot of resources like they did in Vista. but like BDX said there is really no significant reason to switch. unless you want more speed.

5. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
    1. it newer .. and im a techy .. i always like to have the newest and latest
    2. no BSODs ...
    3. Microsoft has already stated.. Windows 7 is what they wanted Vista to be ..
    4. People love to argue over which is better .. it's all a matter of personal opinion.. but atleast make sure you try it before you criticize .. i can't tell you the amount of times i have read a person complaining about Win7 and all it's negative then i ask.. "Have you even tried it?" and they say "NO".. most people like to think what they have is the best .. it's human nature..

6. BDX

BDX MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I haven't had a one BSOD since Windows XP SP1. Well, I do have but those alll were my own fault (undervolting, overclocking etc.).

7. shankarhokie

shankarhokie MDL Junior Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Very interesting ... I had Vista Ultimate x86 and it was slow(er) ... but I was not unhappy ... Never had a BSOD... I have had 2 since I switched to WIN7 on my HP G60 230US laptop... 1 year old..

8. ffcloud2000

ffcloud2000 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Haven't hit any BSOD either since i started using the beta

9. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I got vista business for free in school and I kinda liked it. Thought it's appearance was nice in comparison to XP. Vista seems more resource demanding than windows 7. Windows 7 also seems smoother and quicker. I only had one BSOD with vista which was easily repaired with repair disk.

Ultimately, there is no way I'd return to either XP or vista. I miss neither of them after using windows 7 and have zero problems with 7 also.

10. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    7 is simply de-bloated Vista - I think Vista had some superior features especially in the graphics area.

That said 7 runs like M$ wished Vista did and uses resources better and therefore feels more responsive.

7 is better unless you have a supercomputer and like the way Vista saved certain things with a window snapshot graphic - no wonder it required some pretty high hardware specs.

No doubt 7 is an improvement - just wish they would let you re-activate some of the features they cut out if you wanted.

BUT both are a complete failure when compared to the original specs M$ promised but failed to deliver !!!!!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. exo-dan

exo-dan MDL Senior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    For me one advantage of 7 over Vista is the slew of updates Vista has even after sp2,it just seemed to be kind of buggy

12. jbysmith

jbysmith MDL Junior Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Would have to agree with the above. XP vs 7 is one thing; some people are diehard XP users, and will not switch. But Vista vs 7? That's easy. 7 is basically what Vista should have been in the first place. I absolutely hated Vista; it got better over time but compared to XP, visuals aside, it was a dog. But they really got things straightened out in 7. Still a couple very minor quirks (hey it's still new), but I couldn't possibly ever go back to XP. If you liked Vista and preferred it over XP, you'll love 7.

Noticeably faster than Vista; vs XP it's hit or miss, sometimes faster sometimes slower, but overall definitely smoother.. just handles multitasking a lot better. I do a lot of work in Visual Studio for example.. XP it's fairly sluggish (XP and .NET in general isn't so great), passable in Vista, but on 7 it flys.

If gaming is your thing it handles that absurdly well.. the only slowdowns I've gotten were a few FPS, at most, and that's usually due to DX10's overhead for the better visuals. The only issues I've had were a couple of very old (95 era) 256 color games that don't play nicely with the ATI drivers; get a corrupt palette.. but that's a complete non-issue for me, everything even remotely current I've thrown at it runs perfectly.

Stability wise, it's rock solid. I've not had one crash with 7. (Yet.. XP granted was damn good to me, I've had maybe one BSoD in two years.) Usability wise, it's just a lot nicer to work with than Vista. A lot more comfortable to use.

Back your stuff up, install 7, and use your Vista DVD as a coaster.

13. Nicholas440

Nicholas440 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    Thanks for the replies, Ive been thinking of putting Win 7 on my machine and I wanted to get some opinions, good or bad, and looks like everyone seems to like it. Faster boot would be great Ive been tinkering with Windows since the original Windows 3.0, thats been a few years back, and Ive run every version of Windows thats been out there. For me, a fast boot time, and fast graphics are important as is a clean looking interface.

I think from my personal experience, Win ME was the worst one they put out, on my machine it was a nightmare.

As for the BSOD's I did have two of them with Vista, but the problem was with the program I was using, most people had the same issues with it.

I'll have to get a copy of Win 7 and give it a try... Maybe dual boot thats always interesting.

Thanks again,

14. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Get 7 AND a good SSD and you'll see some reduced boot time - like 10 - 15 seconds to fully booted usable system where programs load almost instantly.