Advent 4213 updated BIOS and XP Activation has now failed.....

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by ADB, Jan 17, 2010.

1. ADB

ADB MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2009
    I have been looking at an Advent 4213 netbook that has issues with the WiFi.
    Anyway I updated the BIOS and Windows is now telling me it is not activated. I can understand this as SLP string has probably changed as this was originally purchased from Dixons ages ago and the new BIOS is from ECS. I know how to activate Windows and can probably get the OEM files in there. The problem is this netbook doesn't have a CD/DVD drive and I don't have a USB one or my armoury of CD/DVDs as I am not at home....

I think a bootable XP USB stick would work but I need to do this quickly and could do with a single download instead of downloading the AIK from MS etc? I have a BartPE XP CD at home that I normally use in these situations but I am not at home, nor does this netbook have a CD drive...

Any quick help is appreciated

Andy

2. iNO12

iNO12 MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    #2 iNO12, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    Hi,

Have you checked to see what string is in the BIOS? It is most likely "BIOSLOCKFUCTION ELITEGROUP" because that is what ECS uses, so you'll need the ECS OEMBIOS set (http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/9795-The-Windows-XP-OEMBIOS-Archive). Check it to make sure though.

The easiest way to change the oembios set is to use the oembios changer, you can get it here: http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/6077-VLK-and-OEMBIOS-changer
    Just add the files to the compressed folder or uncompressed folder (depending on what type of oembios set you use) and then run it and follow the instructions.

If you can't logon to windows because it says you need to activate then just copy this oembios changer with the correct set onto a USB stick, boot XP in safemode and then run the changer. Reboot and all should be sorted.

-iNO12

3. ADB

ADB MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2009
    Fixed it...

D'oh, I forgot completely about safe mode.....
    The latest ECS BIOS SLP String meant I needed the 'Genuine C&C' OEMBIOS files?

Anyway all sorted now. Need to see if the WiFi behaves any better.

Andy