Advent T9100 Win7 Ultimate BSOD? + Minidump

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Deleted member 185298, Feb 1, 2011.

1. #1 Deleted member 185298, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011
  2. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    disable the auto reboot on BSOD... two ways to do it...
    1) temporarily through the F8 menu on bootup... there should be a menu selection that says "disable automatic restart on system failure" or something along those lines...
    2) permanently through advanced system settings... go into control panel, go into system, then click on advanced system settings... click on settings under startup and recovery, uncheck the automatically restart box... click ok

now wait for it to crash again and see what it exactly says

a BSOD can be anything... driver issue, or some other software that's causing it

also, I had a dell precision 360 with a nvidia quadro fx500 card... no windows 7 video drivers, but that didn't prevent me from installing the vista drivers... worked just fine

3. ive tried installing the vista ones, they didn't work, even in compatibility mode :p However i will try to disable the auto reboot. Thanks. BTW, my card is a nVidia GeForce FX5500, if it helps ^_^

4. Yep, i tried that, didn't work, not even in compatibility mode.

I can't say much about my BIOS :p, i'm too scared to touch that ;)

5. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    You're brave enough to install an unsupported OS, but not update your BIOS with a new one direct from Advent? hmm...

6. yeah, because if a BIOS upgrade fails, it renders your computer useless, but if windows fails (no suprise there :p) you can always reinstall :D Plus who said it was an unsupported OS? upgrade advisor said it was fine to install it. its only AFTER installing that i realized nVidia doesn't support my hardware.

7. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    If your system didn't come with 7 and there are no drivers/app updates from Advent for 7, then it's unsupported.

Very rarely do BIOS updates fail on original BIOS. The only thing to be afraid of is if you are flashing a modded BIOS. BIOS updates can fix unexpected system problems, suck as very strange issues that you wouldn't even think has anything to do with the BIOS.
    As part of the troubleshooting process, you should make sure you have the latest BIOS installed as well as drivers.

8. oh I see what you were trying to say now, and i have but 2 questions: 1. What is a modded BIOS? 2. Could I install my BIOS update over Windows 7? (i know this may seem like a stupid question, but i want to make sure :p) Thanks in advance.

9. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Just like anything, you can modify the BIOS. But of course there is a great risk you can "brick" your computer if you try to flash it with a modded BIOS. As for flashing the official BIOS, I don't know the answer to it. You will need to follow Advent's instructions and follow it EXACTLY to avoid problems. You may even have to do it with DOS, which is always the most reliable way.

10. subpsyke

subpsyke MDL Junior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    1. It is a BIOS that has been modified to add/update the SLIC 2.1 table, which is used by certain versions of Windows as an activation measure when combined with vendor certificates. This is explained in millions of threads on this forum, but you don't need to worry about it right now.
    2. As long as the BIOS update is a Windows application, you can most likely update from Windows 7 - but you may need to right-click on the executable and choose "Run as administrator".

As for your BIOS, forget about modding. Kouryu was suggesting that you simply update to the latest official BIOS - not to modify it, as suggested by others. The latest BIOS may have fixes for device/ACPI quirks that cause instability in newer operating systems.

11. I just installed the Vista driver with right click and run as administrator and to my suprise , it actually worked, but the screen was really blurry, but i touched the monitor settings and lowered the phase. Now all is fine.

I am so sorry for wasting all of your time.

If i get another BSOD, i will post here and maybe someone can help.

Thanks Kouryu and subpsyke!

12. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Strange... did you update the BIOS yet? You might also want to test your RAM. Download memtest86 and run it.
    Also make sure you're running the latest chipset drivers

13. I will also try testing the RAM tomorrow. Should i test each stick seperately or them both together? (they are both 512mb BTW, and AFAIK one of them is Crucial and the other some guy at PCWorld gave me. Also - should i use memtest or memtest+? Sorry for all the questions - :p

How can i determine the version of my BIOS currently? i'm not sure if i may have the latest version already :p
    I have a pic of sys info attached.... Capture.JPG