Advice on a potentially new build

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by pythag0rus, Feb 23, 2010.

1. pythag0rus

pythag0rus MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
    Hey guys,

A friend of mine asked me to update his machine with new parts, oriented a little bit towards gaming and he doesn't mind spending the buck THAT much but he doesn't want to over pay either. So I told him the bang for your buck, since he's not an extreme gamer, but does play WOW and potentially will want to play Diablo III and stuff, i advised the following:

AMD CPU PHENOM II X4 965 BLACK EDITION 3.4GHZ AM3 125W RETAIL (Model #HDZ965FBGMBOX)
    Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

For the memory, I have lying around the pair of memory that was not really working well in another I3 system so I figured I would give it a shot in this system, since it's more oriented towards overcloacking and gamers

Kingston HyperX KHX1333C7D3K2/4G Kit (2X2G)
    Here are the specifications.
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL7 DIMM (Kit of 2)
    Standard 256M X 64 Non-ECC 1333MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (DDR3, 1.7V, CL7, FBGA, Gold)

I was wondering since the motherboard specifications supports 1.5V DDR3 DIMM, am I going to have problems running with the current memory in Dual Channel if I up the memory voltage in the BIOS to run at 1.7v?

And generally what are your guys impression on this build?

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Gigabyte boards are great for overclocking. Give the ram voltage a tweak, if it doesn't like it the machine won't boot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...