Advise on version of Windows to be installed- LANGUAGE

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by charliedog, Jul 30, 2010.

1. charliedog

charliedog MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    Dear All
    I am a novice as I have never installed an operating system on my computer before. I read carefully the thread of "Official Windows 7 Repository" but before I proceed with installing on my computer ( LG netbook X110 with Windows XP) I have a very serious question. So, I would appreciate anyone who would be able to give an authoritative advice.

I have downloaded the iso for 32-bit as recommended. Did the check for HASH and is fine. I unlocked all the Windows versions using ei.cfg. Downloaded the uploader by Daz.

From running Windows Easy Transfer I know that my computer will not be able to run Windows 7 ULTIMATE(does not support Virtual and does not have big enough memory). Therefore, I would like to install Windows HOME PREMIUM.

My question is:
    I need to install the HOME PREMIUM in Greek language. Would that be possible?
    I know that Home premium will not have the ability to switch between different languages. But will it allow me to install it in Greek?

It is very important to know before I proceed with installing W7 as otherwise I will not be able to retrieve data and settings saved with WET.

Thank you

2. Airclocker

Airclocker MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    Why don't you install windows 7 and then install the language pack?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. charliedog

charliedog MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    Airlocker

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps, it is me not explaining it well.

If I choose to download the Home Premium Edition (from the iso file in the W7 Repository thread) of Windows 7, will it ask me at the installtion at which language I want windows to be installed? Or will it install in English let's say?

If it does the latter then it won't be good as the Windows Easy Transfer does not do cross languages i.e. you cannot retrieve files and settings saved if for instance you saved from a computer that was running a Greek version of Xp and you try to restore the in the computer that runs an English version of W7.

4. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    If you use Vistalizator, WAT will flag you as non-genuine.

You can try this
    [thread]18024[/thread]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    is that if he only uses daz's loader?

6. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    Even if a genuine key is used.

7. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    I be damned....

8. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    #9 MasterDisaster, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  9. charliedog

charliedog MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    Dear all

Thank you very much for your replies. I came across the Vistalizator yesterday and I thought that this may be a solution. But now reading your replies I am worried it might create problems.

MasterDisaster

You say that:I tried the tutorial on Professional and changed the language to Norwegian successfully.

EDIT:

Installed Greek language pack on freshly installed Home Premium

Could you please clarify for me what do you mean by "the tutorial in Professional"? Is that a software? a site or what exactly? Sorry, probably is obvious to everyone else who is more savvy than me.

Thank you all again

10. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    #12 MasterDisaster, Jul 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  11. MasterDisaster

Aug 29, 2009
    If you want the windows installation to ask for install language, then you'll need to follow this tutorial
    [post]80057[/post]

12. pdenton

pdenton MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2010
    Followed the tutorial by HAL, works great, you should follow it too :)

13. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    I have used this method since Windows 7 come out, and I have it on my blog and thousands of people in Norway have used this method the last year. So it works, 100%. And it safe, your copy will not be marked as "Not Genuine".

14. beatfreak

beatfreak MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2010
    i have installed W7Ultimate (32bit / x86) on a netbook with originally WinXP Pro and only 1GB RAM supported by BIOS (Upgrade impossible) so its also far away from any virtualization usage...
    and W7U works fine, is activated and genuie with Daz's loader 1.8.9
    and as it is W7U i am able to install every language that i want simply via Windows Update... :)

i'd say you get a plain W7U English 32bit, install and activate it and apply your language pack

did you try to upgrade from WinXP or a fresh install? i'd recommend last one

15. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    The OP was of that assumes that Windows 7 Home Premium used less resources then Win7 Ultimate, and if he wanted to install Win7 HP, he have no automatic way to change the language. But as people have told several times in this forum and thread, Win7 Ultimate do not use more resources then Win7 HP. It's only Win7 Starter (and Home Basic) that uses less resources then all the other Win7 editions.

16. charliedog

charliedog MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    Dear all

Once again thank you very much for all your time and valuable information and advice.

I had a quick look at the tutorial you mention and I am not sure I can carry it through.

As beatfreak says that he has installed W7U on his ATOM netbook which seems to have similar capabilities and spec as mine I will try to install W7U and fingers crossed it will work. Obviously, with winXP you need to do a custom installation so that is what I will do.

By the way I want to make a copy of my C drive on an external USB disk. However, for some files I get a message that are being used by another application etc. Is there an intelligent way to do a copy of C without this problem? I do not mean a backup but a literal copy. Just in case I mess things up

Once again thank you all and I will post when I go through with the installation.

17. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    Use Acronis True Image or any free version of a Disk Image program. I have never used any of the free versions, but I think there is some good out there.
    Then you have an exact copy of your C drive, just in case.

18. charliedog

charliedog MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    Thank you all!!

:mml::mml::mml:

Dear All

As promised I am writing to report that after taking a deep breath earlier this morning, I went for the WIN7 installation. Everything went smoothly.

I did get that WET cannot transfer files because of the languages but then I used the WET from Getting Started to Transfer files and all was transferred fine except for an mp3 file which is not important.

I have activated through the Windows Loader (Thanks DAZ for making this so easy) and again all went well. Checked Activation Status and that is fine.

I am in the process of downloading updates and programs followed by drivers. Before downloading I noticed that in the list of important windows updates was also the KB971033 which was unchecked. I don't know if the Windows Loader had a hand in that but anyway I am not dld and installing it.

Well, I wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone helping on this thread and offering advice and cautions as well as everyone on the Forum and especially the Windows 7 Repository which was extremely useful. You are great.