Aero disabled after updates !

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by alextheg, Dec 13, 2009.

1. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Hi folks.
    A ;iitle while back i tried a win7 theme mod (blue progress bars). I was unsucsessfull in doing so although this is not the point of my post. The mod in question involved installing "uxstyles". Clearly i performed some incorrect operation in doing this mod as aero ended up being disabled and no blue progress bars for me, System restore to resolve the aero issue.

On two ocassions since trying this mod ive installed updates and when i restart my system i find that aero is disabled and the only way to get it back is to do a system restore from a point just before update installation. FYI, the last update installed was KB947821 , KB917607 , KB976098.

Im thinking that i must have messed up something in %windir%resources\themes\aero, just not entirely sure how to go about resolving this. Any ideas appreciated people. :D:);):D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

Update is probably over writing the patched dll files an aero.msstyles.

Have you tried using the unsigned themes service? did you get your blu progress bars from this forum? There is a thread for blue progress bars on MDL, I use the service application provided there and the patched black aero file (black is way cooler) and have had no problem except that SFC /scannow will replace the file.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #3 genuine555, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Hi Genuine555, thanks for your help with this. My issue is now resolved. I did follow your guide correctly, however it would seem that "Uxstyles" did not instal properly when I first performed th theme mod. I have no idea why it didn't but all good now.
    +1 rep to you my friend. :D :)

5. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    That happens quite a lot as it seems. It installs a service and a kernel file, and simehow the install can go wrong on some occasions.

Glad it's sorted out, bro.

6. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Hi again. Well what do you know......its happened again. Installed new updates and once again aero is disabled. Ive followed all instructions to the letter. Checked services.msc and all the correct services are running, also checked event viewer and there are no errors to report. Once again ive had to restore back to before the updates. I am baffled...............:(

7. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Weird. I also installed all updates, and no issues at all.
    Can you post a screen of the updates installed ?
    I do know I don't use IE, and so I don't install those updates.
    But it would be really weird if those were the culprit.

Quick question : do you use any third party app for theming ?

8. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    #8 alextheg, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
    (OP)
    I dont use any third party programs for theming. Only installed uxstyles and restorator to achieve black progress bars. I dont use IE either so maybe i shouldnt have bothered with that update. Out of interest, what happens to the changes iv made to aero when my restorator trial ends ? Do the changes revert or something ? Screenshot included.

9. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    No im running 32bit. Can you pm me a link the 32 bit version of that please.

10. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    I just analyzed the two Restorators and im afraid there is no x64 version...

How It Works

Restorator2007_1747_x32 / x64 each contain the following files:

• Restorator2007_Trial_1747.exe

• Preset.exe

• Patch.inf

The trial and the inf (which holds Name and PW) are identical in both packs.

The Preset.exes are different, but only in that they copy the payware executable they contain to a different folder. While the one from the x32 pack copies it to 'Program Files', the x64 one copies it to 'Program Files (x86)'. The actual Restorator.exe however is the 32bit version in both cases. Preset.exe also instructs the trial installer to install silently, and adds the info from the inf file to the registry.

This means in both cases youll be ending up with the 32bit version because the actual contents of the two packs are identical.

If you want to setup the whole thing manually you can also do this:

• Extract Restorator2007_Trial_1747.exe from either pack and install it

• Extract Patch.inf from either pack and write down Name and Password found within

• Extract Preset.exe from either pack, extract Restorator.exe from it, copy it to install dir

• Run Restorator and enter Name and Password noted earlier

Just thought i let you know in case somebody is expecting a real x64 version...

11. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Then why doesn't the x86 version work on my x64 ?
    When using the x86 version on my x64, I constantly get errors, sometimes I can't open files. When I save them, they get corrupt, etc...
    All that don't happen when using the x64 version.

If you can explain that, I'll be convinced...

12. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    I have no idea but you can of course check for yourself.

Just extract the files like i explained and compare them with a hash checker.

Youll see that the trial installer, the patched exe, and the inf are 100% identical.

(Which means the actual question is how one pack can give you problems while the other doesnt. After all both packs install exactly the same files and registry entries...)

13. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    That's truly weird. Just checked them and you are right.
    So I tested the x86 on my x64 again, and still doesn't work properly. The x64 version does...what the f... ?
    I always knew the official site stated that the 1747 build supports x86 AND x64 both, but cause the version I originally had (x86 version) didn't work on my x64, I dl'ed the x64 aswell for use on my x64 rig and made me think there was a difference after all...

So why don't they both work ?
    btw, the x64 does work on x86

14. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Well, since the files are evidently identical im just as stumped as you in this case.

Very strange indeed...

15. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    BTW this was what caught my attention.

Since it was supposed to be a 64bit executable i actually expected to get the usual error upon trying to run it on 32bit, but since it ran fine anyway i knew somethings not right.

Then i started comparing the contents and found that its really all the same...

16. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Without wanting to offend anyone but this is getting off topic guys. I started this thread to see how aero is being disabled after installing updates. ??? :)

17. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
  18. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    On-topic :

Let us know if the full version solves your issue ;)