After BIOS-flash: Win 7 doesn't start

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zickZackMann, Oct 21, 2009.

1. zickZackMann

zickZackMann MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I could really need some help here. I previously used the loader from Daz to boot Win 7 (and before that Hazars loader, if that should matter). But I wanted to try out the SLIC-enabled-BIOS-way, just to be on the safe side.

So I deinstalled the loader, cert and key - Win said it was deactivated - and flashed the modified BIOS. Back in Windows, I installed the cert and key with Dazes loader. Everything seemed fine and Win was activated.

As I was starting my PC today, I was greeted with a bluescreen that said "PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED". I thought "fine" and opened the recovery console and typed "bootrec /fixmbr" + "bootrec /fixboot" - I thought, that maybe the loader wasn't uninstalled properly.

That didn't fix my installation, as the same error keeps appearing. Whats also strange is, that when I choose "restore windows at a previous point" (or how that is called in English), it tells me, that there are no restore points - and I'm 100% sure that there are many of them.

Could be my harddrive is faulty?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. grinzekatze

grinzekatze MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    after flashing you bios, did you choose advanced settings in your bios. that happend to me, after i checked the settings windows startet

3. zickZackMann

zickZackMann MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I just reinitialized the BIOS settings and entered the old values, plus ran chkdsk - no luck :(.

Should I flash the unmodified BIOS and see if that helps?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. zickZackMann

zickZackMann MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Yeah I know of the AHCI/IDE issue of Windows. I installed Windows in AHCI mode and this mode is actually set now..

Could be, one of the loaders I used screwed with the boot.ini or something?

5. zickZackMann

zickZackMann MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I think something with the Windows bootmanager is wrong.

I just entered "bootrec /rebuildBcd" and it said "Total identified Windows installations: 0". But of course, there is an installtation (and this is the only OS that is installed on that PC) and when I boot the install DVD and enter automatic repair, it does find the Windows installation.

6. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    It is the loader so I would reinstall

7. zickZackMann

zickZackMann MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I think the problem now is identified - there has to be a way to fix this! I would really hate having to reinstall Windows because of this..

8. megalomando

megalomando MDL Junior Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Sorry to hear you may need to re-install.

After being in that same situation more than once I've adopted a new policy & I use Ghost to keep a few archives on a USB drive; I keep a virgin install, one where most of my programs are installed sans large databases and the 3rd & last is a recent relatively current backup with everything on it.

It really helps to have all that available & I just used it two days ago to migrate everything to a larger & faster hard drive in my laptop & then switched those drives to make the new one drive C:\

FWIW, it takes about 25 minutes to reinstall around 35GB of data to a new drive, way fast. Just to reinstall the OS & all my progs minus data like MP3s & .avi files takes like 11 minutes to complete.

Good luck

P.S., I use V 14 of Ghost & even though it says there's incompatibilities, I've never had a lick of problems archiving or restoring anything.