After Installing Windows 8, Windows Updates or Motherboard Drivers and Stuff?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Rock Hunter, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Which should be first? Windows updates or the motherboard drivers? Or does it not make any difference?

2. homieb1030

homieb1030 MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2012
    I'd install drivers first, then windows updates.
    But, I don't think it makes a difference.

3. NikJosuf

NikJosuf MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    I always update my drivers first.
    Since Windows Update tends to provide drivers and such, which become obsolete after installing the official drivers.
    Install your Windows. Look at the number of updates.

Then install your drivers and observe some have disappeared because you installed the official drivers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    #4 Rock Hunter, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    (OP)
    I've Made A Change To My Installation Procedure

During the Windows install, I turn off automatic updates. Later I will turn it back on. After installation is complete, the very next thing I do is to install the Intel Chipset utility so that Windows can communicate with all of the hardware. After rebooting, then I turn Windows Update back on and get all of the updates.

With Windows 8.1, I do not install any of the motherboard updates. ASUS has not updated any of them for my desktop yet. Toshiba will update laptop drivers in October when 8.1 is released to the general public. The only hardware driver I need to install is my Epson wireless printer package. All other hardware drivers are installed by Windows and everything works just fine.

5. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    The intel utility just rename the devices with their correct names and no driver is installed. Unzip the installer and see for yourself.

6. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    I install Windows

Run Windows update

Hide all updates related to drivers since WU drivers are s**t

then i install my own drivers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...