After restart, cannot find boot device, but all is fine after shutdown...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by deLockloire, Sep 24, 2021.

1. deLockloire

deLockloire MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2011
    Hi,

I bumped into a strange problem on a newly installed W10. Whenever I shut down windows or simply turn off my laptop, W10 starts normally after turning the laptop on again. However, whenever I restart Windows, it won't boot up and I get a "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" error message. If I then switch off my laptop using the power button, everything comes back to normal.

I tried loading the BIOS after restarting, and I found that the SSD (and the UEFI boot drive) was missing from the bootable devices. However, if I switch off the laptop and switch it on again, everything goes back to normal.

Anybody got any ideas why the boot drive disappears after (and only after) restarting W10 while everything is fine after shutting W10 down or turning the laptop off?

The laptop ran W10 from a HDD before, and there was no similar issue.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you haven't done that, update the BIOS to the latest version available. Set the BIOS to Legacy boot, instead of secured/fast boot. Looks like something with the BIOS isn't in order. The use of Restart clears the BIOS Settings for booting and you use that, the last BIOS Settings will be deleted.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. skonka

skonka MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2012
    Can't help you but I've seen this, occasionally, in systems with multiple hard drives

4. shrinivas

shrinivas MDL Member

Apr 10, 2015
    BIOS seems to be corrupted, have you checked the CMOS battery ?
    Regards

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Maybe you can provide some additional information.
    1. do you have an OP system installed normally or do you use a virtual system;
    2. whether your computer has a UEFI system and it is enabled or disabled;
    3. did you install Windows using UEFI startup or Legacy mode;
    4. what is in Your System Configuration under Boot table;
    5. do You have enabled or disabled Fast Boot;

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. deLockloire

deLockloire MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2011
    1. It's not a virtual system, just a normal OS.
    2. According to msinfo32.exe, my BIOS mode is UEFI, and Secure Boot State is off.; I also have the latest BIOS.
    3. I'm unsure. The OS was installed using USB installer (created by Media Creation Tool). I'm guessing it was installed in UEFI mode. How can I check?
    4. msconfig is not very verbose on the issue. It only says "Windows 10 (C:\WINDOWS) : Current OS; Default OS", 30secs timeout, and no other options checked. If you need something else, let me know.
    5. In the BIOS, I have "Launch PXE OpROM policy" disabled, and "Launch CSM" enabled. I have no "Fast Boot" option.

If I haven't properly answered any of your questions, let me know. :)

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    May the OP should check his Boot-Manager settings via MSCONFIG if there is a Boot-Manager running.

Some time ago I had such a problem after uninstalling the first OS from the machine but changed anything in the Boot-Manager.

8. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    We had this issue with the firmware of the M.2 SSD. Randomly on warmboot/reboot it would dissapear but worked 100% from power on...

9. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Yeah, this does feel like some kind of issue with sleep states and related to a firmware and/or BIOS issue. Starting with updating BIOS and SSD firmware could solve the problem outright.

From there I would move on to changing sleep state setting in BIOS.

10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You answered everything well. Thanks!
    You can disable Launch CSM and Launch PXE OpRom policies; disabling CSM will allow Windows 10 to be installed in UEFI mode (but requires that your target disk's partitions, if in MBR layout, be deleted to have the disk converted to GPT), while PXE is very much unnecessary as it only concerns network boot, but on some cases have been that it must be enabled to run UEFI correctly.
    Try, maybe it helps.
    I didn't see there more problems at the first sight, maybe somebody else sees and sais something more.

11. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    deLockloire Did i understand right please ?

When you boot it sees your hdd ......... when you restart it doesnt ......... its looking for something that isnt there to boot from ?

12. deLockloire

deLockloire MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2011
    I do have the latest BIOS, the SSD also has the latest firmware, and I don't seem to have a lot going on in the BIOS regarding sleep state settings.

13. deLockloire

deLockloire MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2011
    Okay. So if I disable Launch CSM, what happens is if I restart from windows, it boots into the BIOS directly, but I have no boot devices. Not even DVD (which, only appears as a boot device if I have CSM enabled). Again, if I switch the laptop off and turn it on again, the "Windows Boot Manager" option magically reappears.

Do I understand it correctly that your suggestion is to have CSM disabled in the BIOS, then simply delete every partition (I don't have any data on the SSD yet that's critical, it's a fresh install), and reinstall W10 from USB this way while letting the installer create the necessary partitions?

14. deLockloire

deLockloire MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2011
    As strange as it does sound, that is correct. If I turn on the laptop (after shutting down from windows or switching off via the power button), the BIOS shows the "Windows Boot Manager" and my SSD as it should and it also boots up correctly into Windows. But if the laptop was restarted from windows (either manually or as part of an update), the "Windows Boot Manager" and my SSD is simply missing, so it gives the usual "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" error message, which can be remedied by turning the laptop off and turning back on.

15. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    The only thing I could still recommend is to reflash the BIOS and reinstall all UEFI software. Maybe something really happened there.
    But with the BIOS reflash, be careful and follow all the requirements carefully.

16. deLockloire

deLockloire MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2011
    Updating the BIOS was one of my first moves when I discovered this issue. I first updated the BIOS using the Windows Update service, and then I did that a second time using the ASUS Winflash utility after finding out that the Windows Update only had the last but one BIOS version. Now I have the latest BIOS version, and the issue, unfortunately, persisted through 3 different BIOS versions.

I also installed Windows twice already, because during the first installation, I bumped into this issue already after the first restart during the installation process, but I didn't see the pattern yet, and I thought I screwed something up during partitioning. So the second time I let the Windows installer create all the partitions. The installation process could only be finished the second time, because I switched off and on the laptop whenever there was a restart, not understanding what's going on. I only discovered the replicable pattern after Windows was up and running, and started to run the updates. This, I assume, would be equivalent with reinstalling the UEFI software, right?

The strange thing is that this SSD worked well in another laptop (which makes it unlikely that it's an SSD problem), and the laptop I installed it into now has worked properly with a HDD. Also, while it's not a very new laptop, it's not that old either (ASUS X540LA, 2017 model). Thanks for your help, anyway!

17. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Thank you, it's true, unfortunately I can't think of anything anymore.
    One more thing you could try. Completely discard the UEFI, format the disk to an MBR disk, and use only the Legacy method for Windows.
    See what happens then.
    If that works, it is clear that there is a problem with UEFI. Even if then don't work, is clear, that the problem is with the computer itself.
    After that at least something will be clear then.

18. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    I'm tripping over my lack of knowledge of terminology .

= Dont shoot at me ....... think about what i mean ? :)

Could it be your boot records / entrys ........ the bios thinks you have GPT ........ and when you restart something else is looking for MBR ?

Did you recently change from MBR to GPT ? ( I ask because when i did that i had big problems )

I would strip it down to minimum ........... totaly wipe the SSD ......... set bios to factory defaults and reinstall .

19. wladaf

wladaf MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2023
    Hello, I have exactly the same issue, did you fix it somehow?

20. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018