After the end of Win 7 Support

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tmf2, Jan 14, 2019.

1. tmf2

tmf2 MDL Junior Member

May 5, 2010
    Whats the plan for Win 7 users after MS no longer supports windows 7 on 1/14/20 ?

Dennis

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Jump to W8.1

3. the_soft45

the_soft45 MDL Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Use POSReady 7 updates until late 2021 and until browsers, programs and drivers stop working.
    Either that or move to 8.1/Server 2012.

4. erpsterm35

erpsterm35 MDL Expert

May 27, 2013
    you mean Win8.1 / Server 2012 R2, the_soft45. Server 2012 (R0) [w/out the "R2"] is Win8.0

5. 1. Install Windows Embedded POSReady 7 updates up to 12/10/2021.
    2. Disable all unneeded services (like Server, Workstation, UPNP, etc) which will make system more secure.

The real problem is not end of support from Microsoft, but rather end of support from software vendors. I think that moving to Windows 8.1 will not be solution, because the latter OS will be probably not supported as well.
    Remember that many software (eg. Google Chrome) ended support for WinXP and Vista at the same time. I think that situation with Win7 and 8.1 will be similar, because Win 8.1 has marginal meaning and popularity.

PS. I have three machines with Windows XP in my company, that works from many years with no issues. No viruses, no problems. They are rock solid.
    But new software often doesn't work on WinXP, so the OS is dead. There is also no 64-bit version (WinXP x64 is de facto Win 2003 x64).

6. Windows Server 2008 has the same codebase as Windows Vista.
    Windows Server 2008 R2 has the same codebase as Windows 7.
    Windows Server 2012 has the same codebase as Windows 8.
    Windows Server 2012 R2 has the same codebase as Windows 8.1.

The lifecycle of Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 is the same.
    The lifecycle of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 is also the same.

7. kvmk

kvmk MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2015
    How do I enable this in an existing Windows 7 installation and/or enable it in an install ISO? Is it like Windows XP where it is as simple as flipping a switch in the registry?

8. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Exactly! If it weren't for that I'd still be using Windows XP. You get forced into moving up by the software you run and the hardware platform. When you need to keep things up do date, you have to go to newer versions of Windows.

I normally stay as far in the rears as I can with Windows versions. My living situation changed and I got rid of all my desktop stuff replacing all with a new high-end latptop computer. Decided to stay with the very latest Windows. I'm regretting it. Win10 is a veritable beast, a real son of a bitch to deal with. I'm making headway though. Between using the LTSC version and further reducing things with MSMG Tookit it's getting more win7 like. Lots of registry hacks and OpenShell in there too.

9. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Member

Sep 13, 2015
    How many people here bought the iPhone X?

Apple just posted their worst earnings in years and the stock price is down substantially.

It took about 10 years but Millenials are finally understanding that at $1800, the whole concept of the Apple upgrade is a scam.

Who here is rich? It's hard enough just getting by on this planet yet you were brainwashed into blatant consumerism and believing that you always had to have the latest and greatest.

Lots of iPhone owners have opted to buy Chinese batteries for their phones and not upgrade.

If they told me "You HAVE to buy the iPhone X or you can't have any phone" then I, for one, would be phoneless.

The same can be said for an OS. I use Win7 and doubt I will ever upgrade. I will not be forced into using Windows 10 or anything else. There are plenty of programs around and I don't care about "lack of support" from software vendors.

If they're dumb enough to ditch Win7 then they've lost one more consumer....and we do add up.

You are constantly being manipulated and guided in your perceptions...and it is all fear based.

So grow the F up.

Don't go through this life being ENSLAVED by technology.

My Digital Life should always come second to My Spiritual Life.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. perceivedelusion

perceivedelusion MDL Member

Mar 10, 2010
    #13 perceivedelusion, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Extended support for Professional and Enterprise will end January 10, 2023, same as extended support for 8.1. At least that's what I just read 10 minutes ago at "List of Microsoft Operating Systems" at Wikipedia.org while looking up the NT number of 8.1

I've already installed 8.1 Ent. but reading that has got me thinking about not moving. W7 has a few quirks. W8.1 may as well. I know the "Magnifier Tool" on W7 has more increments than the one on 8.1 has. I've been thinking of swapping the "Magnify.exe" and the "Magnify.dll" and seeing if that works. First time "File Checker" is run it would change them out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. perceivedelusion

perceivedelusion MDL Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Just went to "Business and Developers" at M$, it was the only place that said anything about Enterprise extended beyond normal W7.

12. Omicron16

Omicron16 MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2016
    Security updates are fine and dandy, but tbh really aren't the big issue here. The problems are in driver support (not even going to get into all of issues with xHCI,) some kernel compatibility cases (ACPI issue with Ryzen APUs - although AMD did issue a patch for this,) and program support (things like browsers, compilers, and so forth actually requiring a newer Windows for APIs and so forth.)

I'm running Windows 7 until the very end, but we're definitely being boxed in.

13. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    #18 rayleigh_otter, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Win 7 on coffee lake b360 was a nogo. I tried 8.1 out of interest and it installed fine from usb without any problems.
    I will use 7 or 8.1 as long as my current hardware is working. Im tired of spending precious time and getting nowhere, i would rather spend time on what does work on x hardware and make the best of it. I could use 10 on a not networked pc but 7 or 8.1 are still working well.

What is really annoying is 8.1 is a good os and amd dont support it but do support windows 7. Surely you stop supporting the oldest version first? AMD was coerced. :mad: Any excuse they give is pure bull:poop:

14. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Did they? Have you got anymore info on this at all?

15. Omicron16

Omicron16 MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2016