AHCI FLIP the AHCI to IDE or IDE to AHCI tool [Discontinued]

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by stevemk14ebr, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevemk14ebr

stevemk14ebr MDL Senior Member

Jun 23, 2010
    #1 stevemk14ebr, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. stevemk14ebr

Jun 23, 2010
    #3 stevemk14ebr, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    (OP)
    works with windows 7 and vista not sure about xp feedback welcomed, yes i made it, I did use the microsoft artical to figure out which keys to change, but i din't simply have my app run the fix it thing. The AHCI to IDE was actually kinda hard and i had to use an article i found that i gave credit to in the instructions. The reason i made it was because i hate installing windows and then going to multiple forums to see which keys to change and hoping i did it right, made it all in 1 spot and simple 2 buttons

p.s sorry for the lack of info on original post had to hurry up and post it before school

4. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #4 redroad, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    This is a nice effort. I can see it's usefulness.

The one thing that would need to be asked is does the OS have the drivers to support AHCI.

One thing I see frequently in mod requests is people requesting the advanced menu in the BIOS. Is it not the case that the mfg. of the board did not include that adv. menu option because the firmware of the board does not support some or all of those options in the adv. menu. This seems to have led to "brick" if one of those options were selected. It is not a brick in the true sense.

My question is. Is there a way to give the person who has made that poor choice a way to change back. In the case of pre U(EFI) you could reset cmos and start over with U(EFI) how do you change back a poor choice? I'd be interested in any ideas or tools that seem to counter the daily parade of so called bad bios mods which really are in fact people making choices from a menu which is not supported on their board more specifically laptops.

5. stevemk14ebr

Jun 23, 2010
    i think what you're asking is if you have a mobo that doesn't have AHCI and you are using a custom bios and turn AHCI on then use this tool to turn on the AHCI drivers in windows then what will happen. short answer most likely a BSOD or no post at all. All this tool does is turn on the AHCI drivers in windows(if you install in IDE it will disable AHCI drivers and vice verse).

If the BOARD SUPPORTS AHCI then just use this to turn on those drivers and you're good to go. If you use this with a board that doesn't support AHCI then it most likely will bsod or in the case of a mod bios with official AHCI then hit or miss.

6. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    No.What I am trying to say, the disclaimer needs to be is this tool will not work if the AHCI driver is not present in the OS. Like you say BSOD,i.e. Windows XP:biggrin:

7. stevemk14ebr

Jun 23, 2010
    i already include that in the directions at the beginning of the post in supported os's

8. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Also from above

I am posing this question for those who have lost access to the bios menu because of making a choice in the menu that takes away video. How do they get back? Creating a tool which would allow the choices available from the menu would allow them to return to a previous state. Do you think this is possible?

9. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    When I posted you had not:biggrin5:

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I can surely confirm that in Windows XP, this can't work, as there is no native AHCI drivers in Windows XP :(

11. stevemk14ebr

Jun 23, 2010
    i'm sure it is possible to make a tool which does what you're looking for but i am not at that level as of now. It seems to me though a simple clear of the cmos would suffice because it resets mobo to default settings which at 1 point had to work for that person to go in and change it to the "wrong" settings.

12. stevemk14ebr

Jun 23, 2010
    #12 stevemk14ebr, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
    (OP)
    i'll look into xp maybe you'll see an update in a little while. EDIT: ok i have an idea for xp but i'll need testers as i do not have an xp machine and can't use a vm to switch hdd modes

13. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Yes that works for the person with a traditional BIOS but the instance where that does not help is what I am speaking to. Where U(EFI) enters into it. As I understand it the traditional BIOS contained a simple set of low level drivers to get you to the point where it handed off to the drivers on the OS. When U(EFI) entered there was another step added between that hand off. This made clearing cmos to be only effective in a few cases.

I do not have the skill set to attempt this but I know that a tool which could enter at the UEFI level and be able to change menu selections back to default would save hundreds of boards that have been IMHO falsely labeled "bricks". I believe your tool is a step towards doing that.

14. stevemk14ebr

Jun 23, 2010
    I was unaware clearing cmos on these boards was ineffective (i have uefi board and it works for me), but i think you are missunderstanding the code behind my tool. All it is reall doing is switching some registry keys and copying a few files in windows. Yes this may save a few people who don't know how to select the correct options based on their windows settings but it does nothing in the way of changing the actual bios selection, very interesting idea though but still a few years ahead of me

15. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    With Xp that is not worth pursuing IMHO. XP is an OS that bridged several hardware advances i.e. SATA 1 and 2, AHCI,and larger hard drives via NTFS.

AHCI was not supported at the board firmware level only until ICH 7 and then the driver had to be introduced at OS install. The only way around it was to install OS without AHCI selected in the BIOS and then after the install was complete you could put in some pci controller, install it's driver and move the HDD to that controller. Then select AHCI in the BIOS and XP would ask you for the driver. Install that driver for AHCI and upon reboot you could move the HDD back to the on board controller.

In the case of pre ICH 7 the only option to have AHCI was to add a controller which supported it via its firmware and driver.

16. stevemk14ebr

Jun 23, 2010
  17. mittolo

mittolo MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2012
    Hi, are You still working on this tool? Are You still following this thread?
    I need to use it to "flip" from AHCI back to IDE on Windows XP. I need Your help.
    Thank You. I am Italian, so, please forgive my English.

• :eek:

18. stevemk14ebr

Jun 23, 2010
  19. stevemk14ebr

Jun 23, 2010
    if an admin could mark this as discontinued or abandoned that would be great