Ahci win8 pro x64

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kiza91, Oct 12, 2012.

1. kiza91

kiza91 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2012
    I can't turn AHCI mode on GIGABYTE GA-770T-D3L and i have driver for win8 x64.When I turn AHCI in BIOS just crash and won't to boot windows.Any help??

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    For to enable AHCI in existing Windows Installation's

Caution: Do NOT enable AHCI in BIOS prior you'd done some changes in your Registry! If you had AHCI enable already, disable it first and restart computer!

Use WinKey + R and type Regedit in the command line and hit the Enter key, this will open the Registration Editor.
    Go to:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/services/iaStorV
    • right click on Start, select Modify and set Data Value to -0
    now go to:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/services/msahci
    • right click on Start, select Modify and set Data Value to 0

Close Registration Editor and restart computer.

While start computer open the BIOS Page and set the SATA Mode to AHCI

Save Bios settings and restart.

Windows will now install the required new drivers fully automatic and should work perfectely.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If that first key isn't needed, the value will automatically change back to 1 or 2. So using the first key as well is just for to be on the secure site and not need to do the job twice!:p

And we're talking about Windows 8 here and not Windows 7, Vista or XP!:rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kiza91

kiza91 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2012
    This is all set to 0,but when I turn AHCI in BIOS then can't boot to windows.In registry I change everthing and nothing,still freez on boot.What can I do??Sorry for my bad English

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    How, on with place you enable AHCI in BIOS?

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    In BIOS, Integrated Peripherals, you have to set OnChip SATA Type to AHCI.

If OnChip SATA Type to AHCI is set, you should set the next: OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type to: AHCI as well. Do not set as IDE

You'll find this in the MB Manual on Page 44

7. kiza91

kiza91 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2012
    I do that,but when I do that I can't boot windows just blue screen and restart. DSC00746.jpg DSC00747.jpg DSC00748.jpg DSC00749.jpg DSC00750.jpg

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  9. kiza91

kiza91 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2012
    Yes I updated BIOS to latest version.I don't understand on WIN 7 x64 works but on WIN 8 x64 not work's.What is happening?:confused:

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That didn't worked, not in Vista an neither in Windows 7! I had done just an Re-Installation of Windows. If AHCI Is already enablerd before setup Windows 8, all should just working fine and id does on my computers! But I didn't use Intel, I use AMD only!

11. kiza91

kiza91 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2012
    I try that,won't boot.When I want to install windows and I enabled AHCI won't start instalation just freez on boot and nothing happening.I set to Native IDE that works.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I think you should learn to accept that other having their own experiences which may differs from your not existing ones!

And I would suggest to get back to school and learn to communicate with others in normal way and to accept that other also be humans who have the same rights as everybody else!

Stop flaming and trolling!:mad:

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #13 pisthai, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  14. kiza91

kiza91 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2012
    I do all of that,but still I can't boot system when I enabled AHCI in BIOS.In the registry is set 'Start' to zero and nothing...I do all of that you suggested to me.And drivers for AHCI is instalated..Sorry for bad English

15. ViperMatrixXM

ViperMatrixXM MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    Many computers start to get BSOD these days because I find out that AHCI somehow becomes defective. The computer I have doesn't have AHCI but I know the next one i'm buying probably will. I remember working on a friends XPS because it for some reason decided to BSOD till AHCI was set to off when AHCI being enabled was fine before that.

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Unfortunately many Hardware Manufacturers didn't update the BIOS's to the need to the new system in an timely manner.

Personal I didn't have problems with AHCI and I using it since quite a bit of years, started with Vista. The only times I was getting problems were if the OS was installed BEFORE the activation of AHCI. If AHCI was enabled already while setup the OS, there were not any problems. In my main machine I've 6 Sata3 ports, 2 sSata3 port and 2 extra PCI-Ex SATA Controller's (both with 2 SATA 2 Port's) installed and have up to 8 HDD's connected to the machine, 4 of them in Racks (removeable). I could any of that HDD's just changing while the machine work, except that HDD with the OS running! By the way the MB is an ASRock 990FX Fatality with "Bulldozer" CPU.

I didn't had even once a BSOD in Windows 8 (yet), the AHCI is just working to 100%. The only MB I ever had problems with AHCI, which I wasn't able to solve because of the old BIOS, was an Gigabyte with Intel Duo Core 2 CPU and that were at Vista times!

17. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The best solution for forcing AHCI when installing Windows 8 is to:

- Switch to IDE, start installing Windows 8
    - After copying files and first restart go to your BIOS and switch to AHCI mode
    - Windows will configure itself and voila! It works!

Now all you have to do is to install AHCI driver. Nothing more to do.

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  19. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Please do NOT admit that YOU knows better what I had done on more than 20 Desktop computer's! Or did you? And just curious, we were talking about AHCI on Desktops and NOT Laptops which is quite a difference!