AIO question

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by lunar21, Sep 15, 2013.

1. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    Hello all,

Quick basic question for you all here. I have an AIO, prob is I want to insert a few images between 2 other images. Is there an easy way of doing that...

Lets just say, Win 8 enti 64x is image 38 and Server 2012 is image 39, but I want to put Win 8.1 between them. Is there a way to do this, or will have have to do a full rebuild of it from the beginning...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gmas79

Gmas79 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2012
    Never had done before it. So its only guess. First you should remove image 39, export your Win 8.1 image, then add again Server 2012 image.
    Why sequence, such order so important ?

3. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    I want all windows in order, then servers after the windows and each of them in order. I guess it does not matter but it would be nice and it would be easier :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Gmas79

Gmas79 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2012
    Display order available during setup screen? Then i think image index number or image exporting order does not matter.
    It depends on image naming. Maybe naming when you exporting images something like C Windows 8 Enterprise, C Windows 8 Pro or S Windows Server 2012, S Windows Server 2012 R2
    could help you. Good luck

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Get gimagex v2 if you're not very experienced with imagex or dism index handling stuff.
    You can delete an image from a wim, as well as export to a new wim.

To create a new wim:
    GImageX export tab, select source image, start on first image you want to appear in your new wim
    change compression to Maximum and set the path of the new target wim file: c:\temp\install.wim or whatever.
    Export them to the new wim IN THE ORDER that you want them to appear on the new install.wim

If you make a mistake and need to delete some indexes, there's a delete tab.
    There's not really any cut/paste type of way of handling wim files, but if you export them in the order you want them to appear, it will turn out correctly.
    Simply overwrite the old install.wim when you're satisfied.
    You might wanna move the old one somewhere safe while you test it, just to make sure you did it correctly.