Alfa AWUS036H & Win7 x64 Driver Issues

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SirSilentBob, Apr 1, 2010.

1. SirSilentBob

SirSilentBob MDL Senior Member

Jun 5, 2009
  2. apollopimp

apollopimp MDL Junior Member

Jan 12, 2008
    im running win 7 x64 i just connected mine it auto detected and installed i turned off my built-in wireless and am using the ALFA to post this no problems at all

3. SirSilentBob

Jun 5, 2009
    Okay.... so you never installed drivers, you just plugged it in and it worked? Can you goto that network card in the Device Manager and on the Driver tab tell me who the Driver Provider, Driver Date, Driver Version and Digital Signer are? Or post a screenshot? If you did not provide a driver CD or install downloaded drivers then clearly your computer managed to grab some working ones from somewhere, if I can figure out where then possibly mine will work as well. What is your card identified as in the Device manager? I'm kinda wondering if it is using drivers specific only to that chipset. I think in my system it is identified as a "Alfa AWUS036H" which would tell me the drivers are at minimum branded by Alfa. Thanks for any info.
    -SSB

4. apollopimp

apollopimp MDL Junior Member

Jan 12, 2008
  5. SirSilentBob

Jun 5, 2009
    apollopimp, thanks for the info!

From the screenshot you provided, it seems that your computer grabbed the drivers automatically from microsoft when you plugged in the device. Based on the driver date, they were not included with windows 7, as they would have had a date earlier than the RTM date of windows 7. Plus, it is only identifying the chipset, it's not branded. Makes sense since there are lots of adaptors that use that chipset. I'll remove the "updated", alfa branded drivers and allow my computer to grab the non-vendor specific ones from microsoft when I plug in the wireless card, and hopefully it will work for me as well, I'll let ya know.

Thanks,
    -SSB

6. SirSilentBob

Jun 5, 2009
    Ok, I got it working.

I was using the same exact drivers as what you were using, apollopimp,
    so I dug a bit further. It seems that for whatever reason, Kaspersky
    Internet Security 2010 interferes with the RTL8187L drivers from being
    installed. Weird, because I've never had Kaspersky stop any other driver
    from being installed. I ran in safe mode to ensure Kaspersky never even
    got the chance to run or load anything, and removed and reinstalled the
    driver. It works fine now! :biggrin:

7. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Well as KIS 2010 is a great security program it can do that dude. I personally run it too but I have noticed that it also interfered with Adobe updates for CS4! I know that because half of the packages failed to install. I disabled both my internet and kis to make sure it cannot download the files again and what do you know? It worked so my advice that if you are unsure as to if it will affect installs just temporarly disable it. Don't worry about it unless the file you are installing is an iffy one lol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. anthegreat

anthegreat MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2010
    SirSilentBob, i was so relief that i heard what have you done.
    I bought it few days ago but couldnt get it working since you mentioned KIS!
    I also have KIS installed, now maybe all i need is to install it without KIS. I will let you know when my one is working also :)

9. SirSilentBob

Jun 5, 2009
    Were you able to get it running?

10. iusis

iusis MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2010
    thanks for yor tensions.u really di a great work.i reinstall kaspersky an my adaptor start working again.thank you wery much!

11. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    you can also simply use the generic realtek drivers for the alfa. they work perfect in win 7. of course that is if kaspersky was not interfering.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. kklkanna

kklkanna MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2010
    thanks a lot SirSilentBob, i hv tried to install my adapter for more than 3 days.. tried different solution bt nothing worked. finaly i came to read this thread. you saved me from sleepless nights.. thanks a lot:cool::worthy:

13. yaluza1967

yaluza1967 MDL Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Hello SSB, When I bought my Alfa, I had a DVD of drivers, it is actually recognized by windows 7 recognize the card provided to be connected to the internet, if anyone needs I can do a package drivers windows 7 x86 and x64.

() Wep is very easy to crack, WPA is already a challenge, not generate a handshake but especially to bruteforce the key, I recommend Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor, which works simultaneously with all the CPU, but AMD GPUs!

14. skunkr1der

skunkr1der MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2010
    hi yaluza1967,

I'd be really happy if you could provide those default drivers.

my AWUS036H will neither work properly in Win7 x64 nor in BackTrack4.

it *does* do properly with the aircrack-suite, but it won't reliably connect to any network shown. airodump-ng for instance shows a great lot more active AP's than my standard wifi adapter, but using Wicd in linux/Windows configuration tool/Realtek/ALFA config tool I can only ever really connect to my router #1, and slow at that, maximum of 300kb/s with Windows-updated drivers and auto-rate=off, but mostly the rate is not higher than 100kb/s, the adapter is rather slow in response too.

my standard wifi adapter constantly puts out about 1mb/s, no problem there, and its reception/send capabilities are way lower.

under windows, I tried both newest Realtek drivers (normal/power control), I tried those that came via Automatic Windows driver installation, but none helped the issues.

while using the power-control drivers, I experimented with everything between 1 and 100 - to no avail.

it's a shame really :(

thanks for your help :)

15. yaluza1967

yaluza1967 MDL Member

Jun 6, 2009
  16. skander1345

skander1345 MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2010
    i am not having this issue.. ia m running windows 7 too.

17. yaluza1967

yaluza1967 MDL Member

Jun 6, 2009
    I captures the networks around my house with the antenna very well, my router is a few meters from my alfa and I also found ill flow, I removed the antenna and the flow is excellent when I connect to my router.
    I still upload the drivers for those who do not have the DVD.

18. skunkr1der

skunkr1der MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2010
    errr... do I get you right? I am supposed to take the omnidirectional antenna off my Alfa adaper to get a better reception?

I am slowly starting to regret this purchase. what good is a superb reception if both in Linux and Windows transfer speed will never go higher than 300kb/s (at best!) or connect to any network at all?

my other card (Edimax 7318USg) has none of these issues and works out of the box for both operating systems.

I learned that lesson a couple of years back - and forgot about it:

Never again Realtek :)

btw. your megaupload link says: 'file not available right now' ... thank you for correcting that? or I can send you a pm with my email address, and we transfer it through the good old email system :)

19. yaluza1967

yaluza1967 MDL Member

Jun 6, 2009
    not vice versa, remove it, to get a better reception inside your house.

to capture the distant networks, replace the antenna, I'll look for the broken link

retry download, link is not broken

20. skunkr1der

skunkr1der MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2010
    works now, thanks :)

I had a hard time understanding what you actually asked me to do, but sooner or later I retried the download link.

now my alfa is as strong and fast as I expected it to be... hopefully I can find a good driver for BackTrack/Ubuntu too..

:)