Alienware 14 Dedicated GPU Missing in BIOS

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by bpwnes, Mar 26, 2016.

1. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    #1 bpwnes, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    I've got an Alienware 14 (2013) here that has a GT 750M 1GB with switchable graphics to change between Intel/nVidia. It does not show up in BIOS anymore. BIOS lists "Intel Haswell" under "Integrated Graphics", and under "Dedicated Graphics 1" it shows "[Not Detected]". There is very clearly a GPU on the motherboard as you can see it with just the bottom off. Normally I would just reseat the video card, but this one is built into the system board.

The laptop functions perfectly with the exception of the missing GPU.

Any thoughts on how to get it to detect again?

Edit: It already has the latest BIOS (A09) and I've tried reflashing it as that's what Dell recommends. It didn't help.

Edit 2: Flashed the BIOS again and booted it. Windows started installing Bluetooth (which I didn't realize wasn't working) and it got a new graphics device in device manager (still not showing in BIOS). Hit the graphics switch key, rebooted, and installed the nVidia driver and rebooted again. So now the driver is installed, but I can't get it to actually use it yet. Checking BIOS again still reports it as missing. I guess it's time for a third flash.

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    If after trying the third flash iteration and you are still experiencing the same trouble I would suggest you reinstall the operating system(OS).

3. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Third flash didn't change anything. This is already a fresh install from recovery media and the latest drivers on Dell's support page.

Since the nVidia driver is installed, I do notice a flag on the device. It says Windows stopped the device because it has reported problems. I'm wondering if the switchable graphics and/or the drivers aren't configured properly and are clashing. The other possibility is that the GPU actually went bad (which isn't good as I've already replaced this motherboard once for him last year). I doubt it tho as the rest of the computer works fine. Normally dead motherboard GPUs prevent the rest of the system from working properly.

I'll try clearing CMOS and completely removal all graphics drivers and setting them up again when I have more time to mess with it.

4. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    When you are done with your aforementioned process and there is no headway you can try and install the OS from a different media.

5. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Could be possible that the dedicated graphics was burnt from excessive heat from restricted airflow (laying it atop your favorite quilt, carpet, pillow,lap or clogged fan/heatsink [dust buildup]).
    Just sayin....
    :shisha:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    I kept messing with it and eventually got the card to recognize properly. It tested completely fine with a number of GPU tests and actually performed like it was supposed to. However after the next reboot, it disappeared again. There must be some sort of fault somewhere on the motherboard causing this problem.

7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    In that case you should clean the gold connector or simply test it with another video card.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    time for reflow solder or ebay!

9. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I was looking at the M17. Perhap, a reflow would be a good place to start or somebody did a reflow on it before.