All Apps must be distributed via AppStore and MS takes 30% Profit do you like this po

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by IntelligenceArtifi, Nov 29, 2011.

?

Do you like the policy

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    86.5%
    Please vote. Do you like the AppStore lock down on Metro Apps? (All Apps must be distributed via AppStore and MS takes 30% Profit)

Note: for some reason I cannot post with links and images So I removed them

Developers can only create metro apps if they have a license with MS. Here is what happens when I attempt to create a Metro Application.

(Dialog box picture of visual studio 11 saying you need a developer license with MS to start coding metro apps, if you circumvent this the application throws an exception for now license!)

I do not want MS to have control on my code. I want to create free Open Source apps for metro.
    Even if they were paid I refuse to give MS 30% profit from sales.
    Their excuses of this lockdown is only to prevent malware is completely incorrect; it is a marketing strategy to make money. That is why the Desktop UI is not the first to start although people will definitely use it more. Isn't MS satisfied with their office and Windows sales? Why do they need to impose the need to pass throgh the app-store. I will not be developing for Metro unless this restriction is removed and I urge other developers to do the same.

So what do you think users and developers? Do you agree with this Metro app store policy? If futur versions of Windows impose the app store for everything then it is finally time to abandon Windows and move on.

What you can do to try to change this. (If you dislike the policy)

1) Post in this thread of mine on msdn about it (You need a windows Live ID)

Google "Please vote. Do you like the AppStore lock down on Metro Apps? (All Apps must be distributed via AppStore and MS takes 30% Profit)"
    to find the thread

2) Post about it on the building windows 8 blog as comments (Try to post about it when a new blog post has just been made so that its visible and might make then reconsider and reply but do not spam with multiple posts)

Google
    Building windows 8

to find it

Personally I would like metro apps to be distributed both via the app store and conventional setups. A bit like software distribution in Mac OS X. (iOS)

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    M$ can go to hell with their poor attempt to catch up what they have missed (again). I don't support the greed for money of a company that is responsible for crippling OS development.

Apps belong to IOS and Android.

my 2 cents (but no cent for M$)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. floopydoodle

floopydoodle MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2011
    MS has not announced any pricing model for the Windows Store. The info you're referring to were taken from the BUILD demos which were just placeholders according to MS. Oh, and grow up Yen.

3. TheBlade

TheBlade MDL Senior Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Even if they were 'place holders' they are still speculating around that amount. It's not asif it's going to be that much less when they finalize their product. I don't understand why you are telling Yen to 'grow up' i didn't sense any immaturity, it's just his opinion which is also mine. A LOT of Windows fans are going to reject Windows 8, i am beginning to think that 'apps' are way too far.

Look, they've even got apps for the Xbox 360 now, what's going on.. Apps do belong to IOS and Android, I only use Windows because of the way it's been for the past generations and now we have 'apps', i don't think there's much use without touch screens. I actually like the layout, but I don't see any reason to use Apps. Why not code a program in C? The whole thing is for touch screen tablets etc, nothing for Desktop users.

Why on earth do they want 'Apps' on a gaming console lol?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    How on earth are they going to do that with beta apps? A lot of bigger programs have a public beta, they can't place all betas in the store...

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    No, I am referring to the topic (All Apps must be distributed via AppStore and MS takes 30% Profit...) and I have replied with my opinion. That's the whole sense of this thread.

One evidence to be adult is to accept different opinions without to insult, there is still some work to do for you. :rolleyes:

6. Jvelo7892

Jvelo7892 MDL Junior Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Sorry for living under a rock, but what's the story behind the way apple distributes their apps and user-created apps? Do they charge out the wazoo, or do they have a section of free open source apps or something?

I don't own any piece of technology created by them and never have.

I think it's bull s%@# that their going to charge people for something that you created. It would be like selling something on ebay, and ebay gets 30% of the profit of the sold item. But all I can say about it is just don't do it if you don't like it.

7. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Apps is just a short word for applications. So applications (or Apps as they are called now) do belong to any operating system.

The downside of all Apps going through a Microsoft AppStore, it will put many companies out of business. How many sites are there where you can download trail-versions? How many will be left after a few years when Windows 8 is released?

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Since I have posted the same I can explain what I mean with apps belong to IOS / Android.

Sure apps is short for applications. But apps in common sense are small programms which are mainly made for entertainment purposes. Most are programmed by semi professionals. There are free apps and paid apps. Apps belong to mobile / tablet OSes IMHO.

So what kind of apps does M$ plan to offer? To style windows? To have another 'angry birds'?

Or 'real' apps such as office???

Windows 7 is my working OS. If I need a real app, then I either buy it or get a license from my employer.
    I don't need another app store (common sense) on windows desktop PCs.

M$ wants to earn money with the effort of semi professional programmers, that's all.

9. Windows4live

Windows4live MDL Addicted

Jan 31, 2011
    Also they didn't offer so far a way for companies, which want to install their own Metro-Style apps, developt for the compay.
    Microsoft confirmed it two moths ago, that didn't shown the way for companies hand out their apps.
    I think there will be a way without store!

10. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    #11 Jachra, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    It is nice to know that we agree that apps is short applications. However apps are in common sense not small programs for mainly entertainment purposes. They are a wide variety of programs that are small that are not entertainment. I do agree to say that there a lot of entertainment programs around. But this has always been the case. That is why there is a game market, a music market and so on.

What we are seeing today with the current technology that more people can create a program than ever before. The tools to create a program are becomming more and more simplistic in design. When we look at 30 years ago, people needed to understand a heck more of a computer than it is today. How many programmers know the memory addresses, registers, etc in their mind?

These small apps have always been around. And some have been made semi-professionals in the past. So are many open source programs. The apps are small on tablet and mobile OSes, because of the limitations that the hardware has. But that will change in the future, that is something we can be sure of.

Knowing Microsoft, the same as before. Some games will use Metro, other programs are less likely. I don't see MS Office changing in a full Metro application yet. But their AppStore will be like any other we will see today. Many Apps and many will be entertainment.

Same here. No arguing about that. :biggrin:

That is a fact. They are just jumping on the bandwagon. Every other company is doing it, so why not them?

11. In anycase I don't see a big deal about metro, classic windows apps can have fulscreen modes as well. The only thing is that I fear someday Windows might become app store only like iOS in future versions.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I try to explain why not them. My sorrows are:
    There are a limited amount of people who are able to program apps.
    They have the choice
    -Program apps for IOS / for free and paid
    -Program apps for Android open source / for free and paid

Regarding windows:
    Program apps for free: I would say our MDL applications are apps for free, published at MDL forums, with best support of the developer and an expert community.
    Paid apps: You need to publish them on your own.

What will change now with metro / windows apps:
    Free apps will move to M$ store. And the support of the author? Where should it be? Have a look at XDA forums.
    There are enthusiasts. Some are programming an app and provide it over there at the forums. There is great support.
    But as soon as the app moves to the market, the support stops.....it even gets worse if it becomes a paid app then.

Paid apps will move to M$ store. M$ will earn 30%, THIS means the apps will become more expensive! To pay has the end user.

So what I fear is that another US monopolist destroys the semi-professional programming culture by making a business with it.
    There are some frank programmers who adhere to the idea to share their ability by sharing the app for free.
    But as soon as money plays a role the entire idea of sharing is dead.

The basic idea is to take benefit of the (hidden) ability of all the semi professional programmers who are found all over the world.
    To provide a platform for them to share. This is the idea of the market.

M$ has underestimated that (like always when it comes to progress).
    And now they come to poison it by the factor 'money'.
    A programmer who always has shared his apps for free will get now the chance to publish a paid app at the M$ store.
    Can he resist?
    Money is the god of Microsoft. In fact they are rats, IMHO.

13. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    #14 Jachra, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    @Yen

I do agree with you that appstores might kill the semi-professional culture and make the programs more expensive. Most semi-professionals will be lured by the thought that they can make a few bucks with their program(s). Most of them will be disappointed when they don't make money with their program(s).

I don't think that Microsoft underestimates the basic idea. But I do think that they overestimatimate that idea. When more platforms get a appstore, the market gets to much fractures. Will a semi-professional support that many platforms? Most of them will not do that.
    But it might give rise to new programming languages that are truly multi-platform and easy to use.

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    M$ has underestimated it (coz they have missed it), now they might overestimate it when looking at the market and the app store.
    Fact is they are just copying an idea Apple has started and google / Android has made perfect. Hence I call them rats.

I hope the app programmers stay where they are now and don't move to windows.

15. floopydoodle

floopydoodle MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I was referring to the use of M$ and telling them to go to hell. You're of course entitled to have an opinion.

16. MSEmployee

MSEmployee MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2011
    This policy worked perfectly with the 'Mac AppStore' so will work with the WinStore too.

17. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    I hope Microsoft gets sued and there be an injunction against Microsoft. This looks like an outright monopoly plot.

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I think the success of metro apps is dependant on how many percent of market share will get w8 on mobiles / tablets (ARM version).
    It won't play a role at x64 OS and at desktops where people have to work efficiently.
    When watching market shares Android grows fast, Symbian loses fast. Apple stagnates and has been overtaken by Android.
    w8 will not get a foothold at apps.