Also other than security + system updates stopped for Windows XP Pro on 8 April 2014?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by palbertsma, Jan 5, 2014.

1. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    In Windows Update on Windows XP Pro it is possible to obtain different kinds of updates:

1. Security updates
    2. System updates for the OS Windows XP Pro
    3. Hardware updates
    4. Updates for other MS-software - if allowed by the user, e.g. MS Office
    5. Driver updates

Maybe I forgot some, but these are updates that are still present today.

We all probably know that the security and system updates, #1 and #2, will be stopped as of 8 April 2014. But what about the other kinds of updates?

If I'm right these kinds of updates, and even #1 and #2 updates can still be obtained for Windows 2000 Pro: I think #3 till #5 without limitations, but #1 and #2 of course till the end of support of that OS: 13 July 2010. So is this the same procedure for Windows XP Pro?

Example: If I install Windows XP Pro on 1 December 2014, will I still be able to obtain updates for my drivers, present hardware, present drivers and MS Office 2010 till 1 December 2014, and maybe even system and security updates till 8 April 2014?

2. Weedy

Weedy MDL Member

Mar 9, 2011
    All the old updates will still be available after April, they just won't be adding any new updates after that date. And yes, it applies to ALL types of updates relating to XP. You will still get updates for office as long as they are updates for just office, not office specifically on XP.

3. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Thank you for replying!

So update type #1 and #2 will still be available, but only in the status quo of 7 April 2014. They will NOT be updated after 8 April 2014.
    Update type #3, #4 and #5 will be available AND updated, as long as they are NOT Windows XP specific, and as long as they are still generally present (in newer Windows OS's).

I hope this is the right summary of what you wrote; otherwise please correct me!:eek: