Alternative to Windows system restore ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ceo54, Sep 9, 2022.

1. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Hello all,

I'm looking for a software that does the exact same thing as Windows system restore does but works from the USB/External device.

I found Comodo Time Machine but it was abandoned in 2011. I would like to use something that's actively developed and supported.

I'm not sure but Macrium Reflect might do this with it's own WinPE ? Has anyone use this Reflect software, can they confirm it ?

Apart from that If anyone knows any other software which does this, please response in the thread.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Please note: I'm NOT looking to create a full backup image, just snapshots I could go back to like System Restore in Windows.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
    #2 LostED, Sep 9, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    #3 Dark Dinosaur, Sep 9, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    restore full backup takes 4-5 minutes,
    so waste your time on such unnecessary software as those
    not worth the time …

4. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    Errrrrrr !!! ...... Wots trhe difference between a back up and a snap shot ?...... And ....... iIf a snapshot isnt a back up whats the point ?

I used to use acronis but it let me down a few times so i changed to Active@ Bootdisk and i'm realy pleased with it useing it from a USB and from an HDD .

5. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Use native VHDs

Then a (full) backup = 1 file to copy somewhere

Place the VHDs on a deduplicated volume so the space needed is 1full disk + the difference between the various VHDs, practically you use less space than doing a stone age incremental backup.

No money needed to buy anything, given what you need is inside the OS since Win7 (excluding Starter and Home basic SKUs)

6. Hal2000

Hal2000 MDL Junior Member

Apr 26, 2014
    I have used Reflect Free for years, saved my skin several times, backup every month before windows update.
    Lets you make a restore CD,USB and include option to include into boot menu. Store backups on another Disc or better still removable Drive. Pretty much makes you bomb proof.

7. zbigniew59

zbigniew59 MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2016
    Please note: I'm NOT looking to create a full backup image, just snapshots :D:D

8. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    I tried many solutions but like Windows System Restore they all had their limitations. I've opted for full backup using Aomei backupper, I've used their other apps and like the simplicity yet very efficient.

Many thanks to @LostED, @Dark Dinosaur, @case-sensitive, @acer-5100 and @Hal2000 for their valuable help and time.

Thank you guys, your help is highly appreciated.