Always Combine, Show Labels??

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by trancetunes, Mar 20, 2010.

1. trancetunes

trancetunes MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    Hi, there is a thread on this forum showing how to Never combine, and hide labels with the taskbar..

However I am DYING TO KNOW how to SHOW labels and ALWAYS COMBINE. Does anyone know which REGEDIT value to change etc?? I hope there is a way!! I would greatly appreciate if someone can share how. :)

Thanks so much!

-trancetunes :)

2. Veegertx

Veegertx MDL Junior Member

Jul 23, 2009
    right click your taskbar and choose properties. you have a selection there from drop down lists - combine when full

3. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    That's not what he's looking for. He wants them to combine all the time, whether the task bar is full or not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. trancetunes

trancetunes MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    #6 trancetunes, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
    (OP)
    Unfortunately none of you really knew what I meant. Well actually, "roirraW "edor" ehT" knew what I meant I think..

I want to always combine, SHOW LABELS.

Right now that option is not available in Windows 7 by choosing an option in the taskbar properties. They only let you combine always AND HIDE LABELS!

Daz, as far as your link--that is also not what I want at all! Thank you for trying though :)

I want to know if there is anyone who knows what to edit in the registry (REGEDIT) in order to COMBINE the buttons BUT ALWAYS SHOW THE TEXT LABELS as well. (or if you know some other way besides regedit that is fine too)

6. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #7 Daz, Mar 21, 2010
    As far as I know it's simply not possible in Windows 7, there is no registry change that can be made.

For the Windows Vista (or older) feel then you can just use "Never combine" which still groups the windows but also gives you the text and icon, this I would think is the next best thing to "combine & show labels" as it's still grouping things but of course theres no combine and I just can't see large buttons with the text being able to combine, it almost eliminates the purpose of aero peak and the superbar design.

Something like this I'd think would require a shell hack but I done a quick search and there appears to be nothing.

7. moosh101

moosh101 MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2009
    #8 moosh101, Mar 21, 2010
    Never combine but show labels Registry Hack

Hi. I am not sure if this hack will work for displaying the labels of your taskbar tabs, as it was originally intended to hide taskbar labels, but you could try:

Step 1. Choose the option to either; never combine, or combine when taskbar is full in your taskbar settings, available by right-clicking on the start menu.
    Step 2. Run regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

Step 3. Create a new string called MinWidth and set it to something like 200 (You may need to try different settings to get it to display as desired)
    Step 4. Restart your computer.

I hope this helps. :biggrin:

8. trancetunes

trancetunes MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    No hehe that doesn't help but I appreciate the effort! What you are suggesting HIDES the labels while NOT COMBINING (another option which is normally unavailable).

However, I want to combine and SHOW the labels.This option is normally not available but I am hoping someone has come up with a regedit "hack" or whatever to allow it!

9. trancetunes

trancetunes MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    Does anyone have any other suggestions to solve this issue? If so please do help! I really appreciate any input!!

I really want a way to ALWAYS COMBINE, and SHOW LABELS on the Windows 7 taskbar!

10. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    This may be a stupid question, but when it is set to combine, which label is it supposed to show then?

After all it cannot possibly show the labels of all combined objects, which is probably why Microsoft hasnt included that option. ;)

11. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    @Phazor, I'm sure he wants it to display the same thing that it does when set to "Combine when taskbar is full". I.E. (pun intended) with 20 windows of Firefox open it combines them and displays "Mozilla Firefox". The difference of course (not saying you don't already know this) is that he wants it to combine even with only 2 windows open of anything, but still show the label.

Other than setting your screen resolution to 640x480 or even lower, I assume. :D

12. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    OK, one single 'global' label would actually work.

But multiple individual labels wouldnt as Explorer wouldnt know which one to display.

(E.g. if you have open C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files\Games and C:\Program Files\Games\Shooters at the same time it could only display 'Windows Explorer' or something like that.)

13. trancetunes

trancetunes MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    Exactly Phazor. Just like roirraw said, I want to have like say anywhere from 2-10 mozilla firefox open so it says "Mozilla Firefox" as a label... If I have different folders open (say 2-10 different folders) that would be fine if it says "Windows Explorer".. They should really just somehow allow us to do that...

Does anyone have any idea of how to achieve this?! Always combine, and SHOW labels? I hope there is someone out there who knows how to possibly achieve this!