Am I comprimising my computer security/Information if i upgrade to the free win 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Themechanc, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Themechanc

Themechanc MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2010
    Hi all
    Ive heard that upgrading to the free Microsoft windows10 upgrade I compromise my computer security and some information shared with MS. Is this true?
    If already posted please place link.
    Thanks!! :confused:

2. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    No, info is shared with MS due to it being a cloud oriented OS. As far as security is concerned? Absolutely not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    yes MS gets some data, depending on your settings it can be minimal system things OR if left default and express setup can give them your contacts, email, calendar and MUCH more.

4. frepsz

frepsz MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2014
    They promised they won't use your info for anything wrong. Do you not believe them? What a horrible person you must be... :D

You need to consider if there is any functionality in win10 that you need and other systems can't give to you. Upgrading just for the hype is never a good idea.

5. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    depends on your level of paranoia It is true that MS is collecting info that they should not may in my opinion but I don't realy worrie about it ! If they want they will get all the info they want any way ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. excalibur2

excalibur2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 1, 2015
    ..but if you go on those sites for torrents (you all know where I mean) which is safer Win 7 or win 10.

7. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    The safety does not depend on the OS you use but in commen sense by the user what is real and what is malware/virus ! Only exeption is if there would be an not fully patched OS and has a lot of backdoors so if I may say I would go for windows 10 just in case :tea:

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

The short answer is yes W10 is a giant spyware, just like Android and IOS.

Anyway W10 is still wastly hackable/moddable and countermeasures can be taken. Just search here for them

9. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014

I heard that aliens were launching an invasion next Tuesday...what you "heard" is equally as likely.

(People are often like cattle...a loud noise and there's a stampede.)

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I believe they are going back and installing updates on previous OS's to collect info like Windoze 10, so, I think your about as safe with 10 as you are with the rest, although with Windows 10, it has more functions, so unless you are bank robber, if you do not have plans on computer, you are safe, rob away, lol:D

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Surely they are going to.

Saying that W10 is a spyware isn't the same thing that saying that W7 is safe.

12. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I'm just saying that in the end, one will be as safe as another OS, lol:D

13. excalibur2

excalibur2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Well I was thinking if MS win 10 spy's on you more compared to win 7, then they could pass information on how you use your computer and where you go for torrents (in the well known place).

14. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #14 lobo11, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    The bottom line is as I see it, for a regular user, one of the most important things are the different repair tools built into Windows 10, if you start deleting parts of OS to get rid of spyware, then run some repair options which will try and change Windows 10 back to default, well, you may end up with big mess, just my 2cent:D

So until I see my bank balance online, I will leave the OS alone.:worthy:

15. MrRTM

MrRTM MDL Member

Aug 27, 2013
    what "kind of", "sort of", "illegal", "morally wrong", information you have on your computer that you are so worried about being exposed?

16. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Girl sites, lol:eek:

17. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    But by then it will be too late:D

BALANCE= Zero

18. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Rumor mongers are doing more harm to people psych regarding Windows 10 security than anything else. I think this over-eulogized spy thing is getting out of hand.

19. DonDamm

DonDamm MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2011
    Speaking of bank balances.... Almost all the big guys and most of the smaller ones claim you are secure when you login because they use SSL/TLS with the https visible. How odd then to find folks like Chase have no less than than NINE unsecure servers which try to connect to you on the login page (things like DoubleClick, Omniture, X+1, and many others). Even after you login in when inside your account there are 3 or more unsecure servers trying to connect. Wells, oddly had only one server (but I don't like them anyway).

The bottom line is that most online banking is grossly unsecure despite what they tell you. Those unsecure severs could serve as prime vectors to inject javascript to log key presses, etc. I've had a running battle with Chase about this, and only managed to get them to admit the possibility (but not on record!). I did manage to get them to change their policy regarding the collection of thumbprints on the back of checks a couple of years ago, but that was a small victory. None of your bankers will know whow long they keep any of your data, nor will they inform you if/when they destroy it.

My advice would be to move your funds to a local credit union, and one that only has one server connected when you do online transactions! :^)

20. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    yes, and so on would be even hard to you to preserve your private life. A whole OS tracking every single movement with the excuse to make better the OS but instead to sell your information to the best AD at the market.