Am I selling my digital license the right way? Do I need to rethink some steps? Help!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ENZOLU, Sep 22, 2019.

1. ENZOLU

ENZOLU MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2018
    Hi everyone!

Recently I decided to sell a DL of Win10 PRO I had. It's linked to an old laptop I had with (retail) Windows 7, and I decided to upgrade with the "gatherosstate.exe" trick. It worked, and I had a working digital license. However, it was overall very slow, so I decided to trash it and make some money by selling the Windows 10 digital license that I had obtained.

Now, here's what I have in mind:

Create new MS account with new email address --> Associate that account to my old PC, thus tiyng the license with that account --> Once a customer bought my license, pass them the account credentials --> The customer would then associate that account (thus the license) with their own PC --> The customer would then log out of said account (while still mantaining the license) and log back in with THEIR OWN MS account, thus "transferring" the license over to their account.

Now, I've never done such process efore on a VM or anything, so I was wondering, will this method work? Will the license successfully transfer from my burner account to the buyer's own account? Would they need to perform extra steps?

2. maddogster

maddogster MDL Senior Member

Mar 23, 2015
    nope but give the user that buys your windows 10 the retail windows 7 key so that if microsoft does come after them they have retail key of 7 that can always be used to get free upgrade to 10 using older iso's of 10 or new one if allows input of windows 7 key to upgrade; if you had oem version of 10 or 7 that came with old laptop you would have to sell the old laptop with the 7 key or upgraded to 10 as the key is tied to hardware and can't be uncoupled like any oem key

3. ENZOLU

ENZOLU MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2018
    Thanks, but apart from that, is the MS account thing well done?

4. deadock

deadock MDL Junior Member

Jan 11, 2016
    The activation is "tied" to the Windows 7 Key, so the buyer probably doesn't need the account to activate it again. Given you revoke the device that was used to activate the free windows 10 upgrade with that Windows 7 key in your Microsoft account, and you don't resell the Windows 7 retail key to more than one person. As far as I know, you cannot resell the digital upgrade license of Windows 10.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The HWID is generic and bound to the hardware. The inked MSA is just for re-activation or moving the hwid to new hardware.

Selling a free license:rofl: the one who buys that must be a really dumb person.

6. deadock

deadock MDL Junior Member

Jan 11, 2016
    I meant, to activate in the first place he needed the retail Windows 7 Key, so he'll need to resell that Windows 7 key for the other person to get the free Windows 10 activation. They made the upgraded activation to Windows 10 digital so people wouldn't resell free upgrade key (if they had gone with this scheme instead), but people are still trying to resell/buy the free upgrade, not to mention you can still upgrade for free upgrading from a windows 7 install.

7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    The digital license is not yours but belongs to your computer and you can only sell it with your computer. It only works with this computer.
    If you want to upgrade or replace your computer, you can request a Microsoft to transfer the license to the new system.
    Moreover, until now, all existing licenses for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 are free to upgrade and all owners of such computers will receive a free digital license. Why would anyone start buying it from you. Maybe only some neanderthals or polar bears.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. ENZOLU

ENZOLU MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2018
    Do you think the average buyer even knows what's the difference between a DL and a product key? Probably not. They just want a legal Windows 10.

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    They can just run KMS38 or any of the new versions, and have a DL for free.

What you want to do is just ridiculous.

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Once the key is tied to the hardware (motherboard) it will always be able to reinstall 10 without a key to worry about. What the OP is attempting to do is to get prospective buyers to pay for something they do not need.
    ENZOLU would also make for a good used car salesman too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    May I add something?
    :tooth:

:moon:

12. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    WOW thats all i have to say!!

13. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    So buy a legal copy/digital license from MS direct or a kosher retailer.

14. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    That is some business plan...